Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Shooting head for 13 9 Shakespeare Oracle Scandi?

After some advice on the above.

I have a new 13 9 Scandi for the coming season and need to kit it out with a versatile shooting head that will cover most situations!
    specs for the rod are listed as:
    aftm 9#
    sh = 34-36 grams
    spey 48g 56 feet

I've discovered that line choice seems bl***y confusing!

My current options are:

Airflo rage compact shooting head kit - although stated line weight seems to include the tip? does this matter? Do i need to go up a weight?

Including tip:
    8/9 - 580gr/40ft
    9/10 - 640gr/41ft
    10/11 - 680gr/43ft

Airfo Rage compact 540 plus running line and add a selection of Rio versileaders?

Any help would be appreciated as i'm pulling my hair out trying to understand it all!
    Vince

I have the 12'9. It can definitely cope with lines above the quoted weights.
    If you are casting with a touch and go fast you should account for the tip weight when loading the rod.
    If you are casting more like a Skagit with anchored tips then you don't need to worry about tip weight as much.
    If I was using polyleaders I wouldn't worry about these much at all as they only add a tiny weight.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

I’m using the following :-

Airflo Rage Compact Float 39g 600gr 32ft 9.7m

Airflo Rage Compact Hover/Int 39g 600gr 32ft 9.7m Grey/Blue

Mackenzie 9/10 41ft 12.5m 42g 648gr Red Float

Mackenzie 9/10 41ft 12.5m 42g 648gr Red Float/Intermediate

MacKenzie SM-DTX 8/9 F 51ft (15.5m) Head (beige) 42g 648gr

I have the same rod with a Hardy Ultralite DD reel with Snowbee Scandinavian floating line 9/10 (44ft belly) and a Shakespeare Oracle Short head spey 9/10 floating (40 ft belly) both integrated running line 140ft lines and i use 10 ft airlfo polyleaders in different density with 3 ft of 15 fluorcarbon 15lbs Snowbee tippet ... both work a treat hope it helps.
    Rob

Default Tips.

Thanks guys. Ive gone for an airflo rage compact 570 with a ridge running line plus a selection of airflo poly leaders.
    What length and brand tips would you Recommend? Probably want to start with just a floater, intermediate and fast sink?

I'd stick with 10ft polys. Rio, airflo, Michael evans. All should work a treat.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Default Shakespeare

I have the rod and use a 38 g rio Scandi head on it and is a joy to cast , recently started using a 54 ft gaelforce 9/10 Spey line and it absolutely flies
    O.r.s
    the lovely south tyne

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSparrow View Post
    Thanks guys. Ive gone for an airflo rage compact 570 with a ridge running line plus a selection of airflo poly leaders.
    What length and brand tips would you Recommend? Probably want to start with just a floater, intermediate and fast sink?

The rage heads dont need or require tips its a complete line in its self all thats required is a leader at least the length of the rod whether it be a tapered leader or a poly/versi leader+tippet
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

540 grain heads / 34 grms will cover your needs I've also used them along with T 11/14 tips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast