Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Rio Scandi versitip

I am going to buy a #9 Rio Scandi versitip. I noticed there is a new version just come out, it is the in touch core and has a integrated running line. It is 130, more expensive but when you add the running line on to the original version it won't be a great deal different. I noticed the intermediate tip is clear on the picture, i read something somewhere saying Rio had done away with clear intermediate tips, my #6 one is grey. Has anyone any opinions on this line good or bad. Thank you. ATB.

Smile

Got the short version #8 485gr for my 12ft Demon. Great setup, casts well, turns over heavy flies. No complaints.

Also got the #10 650gr for my 15ft Angel 2. Not so happy, few grumbles. Line casts well and turns over fine, but ... after less than a season the tip of the main line had several cracks just behind the main tip loop. Managed to cut off the damaged section and weld a neat (by my standards) new loop, but it's pretty thick and certainly wont be able to do the same again. Did think about just putting on a braided loop but the didn't have any big enough (the line end is much too thick for the Rio #8-11 loops.

My other grumble is about the quality and price of the versitips. 25 a go for the 15ft ones. The ends of the tips are very soft and even careful loop to loop connections soon cuts into the loops exposing the underlying braid. My intermediate tip is also cracking at both ends behind the welds. It is a grey one, but I notice clear ones are also available if you are willing to part with the 25. Don't know if there are any differences between the grey and the clear apart from the obvious colour difference. I also got the impression that in slower water the intermediate tip set up fished deeper than I was intending.

I never used the floating tip because of the extra line wake at the join, may not be significant but it put me off.

Still being quite keen on the line, I bought a new Rio Scandi #10/11 640gr line for 50 which is essentially the same line. Only tried it with 10ft intermediate versitip (only a tenner) ... I intend to try it with my collection of versileaders and polytips, from what I gather it should manage to turn them over and give me a good range of options.

I'm not so sure I see the advantage of an integrated line. The end of the shooting line is bound to wear and I've never found a problem with the join going through the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by gweb View Post
    Got the short version #8 485gr for my 12ft Demon. Great setup, casts well, turns over heavy flies. No complaints.

Also got the #10 650gr for my 15ft Angel 2. Not so happy, few grumbles. Line casts well and turns over fine, but ... after less than a season the tip of the main line had several cracks just behind the main tip loop. Managed to cut off the damaged section and weld a neat (by my standards) new loop, but it's pretty thick and certainly wont be able to do the same again. Did think about just putting on a braided loop but the didn't have any big enough (the line end is much too thick for the Rio #8-11 loops.

My other grumble is about the quality and price of the versitips. 25 a go for the 15ft ones. The ends of the tips are very soft and even careful loop to loop connections soon cuts into the loops exposing the underlying braid. My intermediate tip is also cracking at both ends behind the welds. It is a grey one, but I notice clear ones are also available if you are willing to part with the 25. Don't know if there are any differences between the grey and the clear apart from the obvious colour difference. I also got the impression that in slower water the intermediate tip set up fished deeper than I was intending.

I never used the floating tip because of the extra line wake at the join, may not be significant but it put me off.

Still being quite keen on the line, I bought a new Rio Scandi #10/11 640gr line for 50 which is essentially the same line. Only tried it with 10ft intermediate versitip (only a tenner) ... I intend to try it with my collection of versileaders and polytips, from what I gather it should manage to turn them over and give me a good range of options.

I'm not so sure I see the advantage of an integrated line. The end of the shooting line is bound to wear and I've never found a problem with the join going through the rings.

Thank you for the reply. Some things to think about there. I don't know how they can justify 25 for one 15ft tip, that is a rip off. Time you buy 4 tips you could probably pick up the whole lot for the same price. I have noticed that the retailers are starting to sell the mk1 version off.

Are the 15ft tips lighter than the 15ft tips on the windcutter versitip for the same weight line as those tips lasted a long time.
    Last edited by Cumbrian rivers; 05-09-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Default Line for switch rod

Hi folks. Wondering what lines are working well on the zpey switch rods. Was looking a short shooting head. Had thought on the rio skagit. Any one used one and what do they think .

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
    Hi folks. Wondering what lines are working well on the zpey switch rods. Was looking a short shooting head. Had thought on the rio skagit. Any one used one and what do they think .

Morning sneaky,

You will get better response if you open your own thread about a line for your rod. I see you are a newish member and you might not of known people will be reluctant to hijack someone else's thread to answer you.

Cheers andy

Default Multi Tips.

Eh up all,1st gweb.I'm a lover of multi tip lines and have a goodly number, but I'm very reluctant to use them in full floating line mode(except in an emergency!) for the very reasons you mention concerning wake!.As for the tips, well I've had several different manufacturers lines and the tips seem pretty good, however the Rio Inty. tip now is in all honesty a fast inty.The clear tips sink at 1.5 to 2 ips and the Grey tips are a touch faster at a genuine 2ips +.If you take note of the Rio sinking rates for their multi tips, they seem to all be edging slightly faster.
    As for the cracking, well I use primarily Guideline and Airflo lines which are all made by Airflo and are a different material which is non crack.There's nothing at all stopping you using any make of multi tip you want to as long as its the same aftm rating and same length as the original(on the Rio SSVT,which I have too you can use either 10ft or 15ft multi tips, its designed that way!).
    I used to like the Rio inty tips but I find them a bit quick and lacking in finesse these days,I can recommend the Guideline inty 15ft tip its a perfect sink rate(as is the Airflow-Same tip) also cheaper!
    In my sink tip wallets I have quite a few tips that are non std to the line they get used on, but suit what I want them for, for instance the Rio type 3 is a tadge quicker than the Guideline sink 1/2 (just) which is often handy to me.However I've allways found that Guideline do a greater variation of sinking rates and although more expensive outright(to buy all of them initially) are more versatile in the long run.
    One more thing in that I personally consider multi tips to be a great substitute for sinking(as long as we're not talking very fast sinkers and very fast currents) lines and much more versatile.However when it comes to a full floating line presentation I do prefer a dedicated full floating line/head,I feel it casts that bit better and give better presentation and when used in conjunction with polys is still pretty versatile.
    2ndly,Cumbrian Rivers,all the Rio tips should be the same and be fully interchangeable with the differing lines that Rio make.I don't see a problem even if you've the real old braided loop versions that first appeared on the early Multi tip Accelerator lines(still got some of those some where!).
    Appologies for covering the same ground, but I won't hesitate in recommending at least a 5ft poly tip on the end of any multi tip (obviously sinking polys on sinking tips!),it helps them cast a lot better and presentation improves too.Also opens up the flexibility that bit more.Now I'm happy enough to use 10ft tips too, especially on bigger rivers, works treat!.
    Best of luck,Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 15-12-2017 at 11:02 AM.