Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Rio Scandi versitip

I am going to buy a #9 Rio Scandi versitip. I noticed there is a new version just come out, it is the in touch core and has a integrated running line. It is 130, more expensive but when you add the running line on to the original version it won't be a great deal different. I noticed the intermediate tip is clear on the picture, i read something somewhere saying Rio had done away with clear intermediate tips, my #6 one is grey. Has anyone any opinions on this line good or bad. Thank you. ATB.

Smile

Got the short version #8 485gr for my 12ft Demon. Great setup, casts well, turns over heavy flies. No complaints.

Also got the #10 650gr for my 15ft Angel 2. Not so happy, few grumbles. Line casts well and turns over fine, but ... after less than a season the tip of the main line had several cracks just behind the main tip loop. Managed to cut off the damaged section and weld a neat (by my standards) new loop, but it's pretty thick and certainly wont be able to do the same again. Did think about just putting on a braided loop but the didn't have any big enough (the line end is much too thick for the Rio #8-11 loops.

My other grumble is about the quality and price of the versitips. 25 a go for the 15ft ones. The ends of the tips are very soft and even careful loop to loop connections soon cuts into the loops exposing the underlying braid. My intermediate tip is also cracking at both ends behind the welds. It is a grey one, but I notice clear ones are also available if you are willing to part with the 25. Don't know if there are any differences between the grey and the clear apart from the obvious colour difference. I also got the impression that in slower water the intermediate tip set up fished deeper than I was intending.

I never used the floating tip because of the extra line wake at the join, may not be significant but it put me off.

Still being quite keen on the line, I bought a new Rio Scandi #10/11 640gr line for 50 which is essentially the same line. Only tried it with 10ft intermediate versitip (only a tenner) ... I intend to try it with my collection of versileaders and polytips, from what I gather it should manage to turn them over and give me a good range of options.

I'm not so sure I see the advantage of an integrated line. The end of the shooting line is bound to wear and I've never found a problem with the join going through the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by gweb View Post
    Got the short version #8 485gr for my 12ft Demon. Great setup, casts well, turns over heavy flies. No complaints.

Also got the #10 650gr for my 15ft Angel 2. Not so happy, few grumbles. Line casts well and turns over fine, but ... after less than a season the tip of the main line had several cracks just behind the main tip loop. Managed to cut off the damaged section and weld a neat (by my standards) new loop, but it's pretty thick and certainly wont be able to do the same again. Did think about just putting on a braided loop but the didn't have any big enough (the line end is much too thick for the Rio #8-11 loops.

My other grumble is about the quality and price of the versitips. 25 a go for the 15ft ones. The ends of the tips are very soft and even careful loop to loop connections soon cuts into the loops exposing the underlying braid. My intermediate tip is also cracking at both ends behind the welds. It is a grey one, but I notice clear ones are also available if you are willing to part with the 25. Don't know if there are any differences between the grey and the clear apart from the obvious colour difference. I also got the impression that in slower water the intermediate tip set up fished deeper than I was intending.

I never used the floating tip because of the extra line wake at the join, may not be significant but it put me off.

Still being quite keen on the line, I bought a new Rio Scandi #10/11 640gr line for 50 which is essentially the same line. Only tried it with 10ft intermediate versitip (only a tenner) ... I intend to try it with my collection of versileaders and polytips, from what I gather it should manage to turn them over and give me a good range of options.

I'm not so sure I see the advantage of an integrated line. The end of the shooting line is bound to wear and I've never found a problem with the join going through the rings.

Thank you for the reply. Some things to think about there. I don't know how they can justify 25 for one 15ft tip, that is a rip off. Time you buy 4 tips you could probably pick up the whole lot for the same price. I have noticed that the retailers are starting to sell the mk1 version off.

Are the 15ft tips lighter than the 15ft tips on the windcutter versitip for the same weight line as those tips lasted a long time.
    Last edited by Cumbrian rivers; 05-09-2017 at 08:55 PM.