Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Floating lines that sink

When I started fishing, you expected your silk line to sink unless you kept it greased. If it started to sink and you wanted it not to, all you had to do was dry it and grease it again. It was a bit of a pain and the main reason that plastic lines now rule the world.

However, I have a couple of modern lines that ought to float without interference but don't last a full day's fishing without settling slowly below the surface. Has anyone got a magic method of keeping them afloat?

What lines are they ?

I had a Eoin Fairgrieve bullet line that sunk when it shouldnt have, along with some Rio AFS heads.

The one that triggered this is an AFS Outbound

The only thing I can suggest is to clean the lines regularly and give them a light going over with mucilin (red). My floating AFS head will act more like a hover in choppy water and the Airflo floaters are similar. One problem can be cutting bits off the front and not sealing the tip properly afterwards as water gets in and wicks up the core.

SP8

Not sealing the end will always do it, as suggested above. The AFS has a factory fitted loop though. Check to see if the leader has cut through the loop. That may be a cause. ie capillary action drawing water up the tip.

I carry a tub of Muclin for this and just wang a bit on the last foot or so if its a problem (although I really like seeing the tip just under the surface a lot of the time - not great for skating a fly though!).

Mucline is cheap and reliable. BUT, if it gets warm/hot (I know this summer that's been rare) it will turn to a runny goo and dribble out of the tub. So, pop it under the water for a few minutes to cool off, that or go and sit under a shady tree and sup a ice cold one.

Thanks chaps.

The front loop looks intact and it's the whole head that eventually sinks, rather than just the tip, so I don't think it's capillary action.

It seems that drying and greasing are the way forward, which seems very like the way things used to be. Funny thing, progress.

Is this really necessary? As the margins this must be making in a short space of time must be minimal.

I for one think there is know way this can be taking your fly any further than an inch deeper in the water and possibly not even that. If for say you use fluorocarbon then this is going to take your line down also. just my thoughts.

Default Floating Line

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    Thanks chaps.

The front loop looks intact and it's the whole head that eventually sinks, rather than just the tip, so I don't think it's capillary action.

It seems that drying and greasing are the way forward, which seems very like the way things used to be. Funny thing, progress.
    Don't forget the cleaning. So I'm not the only one with a floating line (AFS) that hovers.

I suppose it saves buying a hover

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Is this really necessary? As the margins this must be making in a short space of time must be minimal.

I for one think there is know way this can be taking your fly any further than an inch deeper in the water and possibly not even that. If for say you use fluorocarbon then this is going to take your line down also. just my thoughts.
    In a decent flow, I don't think it affects things much because the pull of the current keeps everything up in the water. In quieter water, it settles enough to interfere with casting: rather than just lifting it straight off the surface, it needs a preliminary lift or sometimes even rolling up, which isn't great when you're trying to be stealthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast