Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    newfly Guest

Default Waterproof, breathable wading jkt

I am looking to purchase a waterproof, breathable (gore-tex or equivalent) light weight wading jacket.
    Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

simms g4 mate

Budget end - the Stillwater Tay wading jacket from Glasgow Angling at 79. Lightweight shell, breathable and got Best in Test in a Trout and Salmon wading jacket review last year. I got one and no complaints.

As SILVER-SALMON says above
    SIMMS G4 worth the bucks.
    Cap

simms

newfly Guest

THere's a lot of support for the Simms but out of my price range. Is Gore-tex the be all and end all of breathability or are there alternative equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dee View Post
    Budget end - the Stillwater Tay wading jacket from Glasgow Angling at 79. Lightweight shell, breathable and got Best in Test in a Trout and Salmon wading jacket review last year. I got one and no complaints.
    There it is newfly! Plenty from Snowbee, Scierra and Vision too at a lot less than Simms.

newfly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dee View Post
    Is it possible to compare the breathability of the Tay jacket with a Gore-tex jacket. There must be a way of specifying how breathable a jacket is but never seen it advertised for comparison.

I would ask the manufacturers for the waterproof and breathability rating of the jacket before buying. It is important to ask if they have a waterproof rating for the jacket and not just the material, as the seams can be far less than the material itself.
    I donlt think that Goretex is the be all and end all; it just has the best reputation. I have a "Mountain Equipment" jacket that is now falling to bits after about 1 years of hard use. I've only used for fishing occasionally on family holidays where packing space was limited. Even now that it is falling apart the main areas are still waterproof and all buttons, zips and pull cords are still working as new. On top of this, there is not a single bit of tape on the seams that has seperated from the main material. I just wish that top of the range fishing gear was made to the same spec. Most of my fishing jackets have lasted around two before they leak or break in some other way. I've given up now which is why I am on about my 4th or 5th year with my leaky Barbour wading jacket.
    I need to replace it soon and like yourself I cannot make my mind up what to go for. If only Mountain Equipment made wading jackets
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

By way of a balance,I have loads of wading jackets from cheap to expensive.The cheap ones are fine but their shelf life is never the same as the more expensive jackets,for an occasional fisher they can be good value or indeed the budget concious angler they are a sensible choice.
    However you do get what you pay for,if you are a regular or even serious fisher fishing in all conditions then they will let you down sooner rather than later.
    My budget jackets that have all failed after no more than two years medium use are,Scierra Helmsdale,Musto FPX(not cheap but **** from the off), Stillwater Performance(very good effort though),a middle of the road Jacket in terms of price and performance is my Hardy Salar(good jacket,robust but **** cuffs),top price jackets are ,Patagonia SST(five years plus of heavy duty wear before it failed) and my current jacket the Simms G4-5 years and still going TOTALLY WATERPROOF,tough as old boots and brilliant design in terms of fit,pockets and longevity.
    In all honesty you do get what you pay for,I would most seriously and honestly totaly ignore waxed cotton type of jackets,go for a reputable maker and modern materials.I would reccomend the Simms jackets-you dont have to buy the top of the range jackets there are cheaper models-if however you are stuck to a budget or dont wish to pay big prices then I can reccomend the Stillwater,but dont expect Simms performance or longevity.God luck and stay dry,Pedro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast