Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default problems with waterprooveness

Hi,

have just read this thread because I have problems with water coming through my Loop opti 3L jacket. Have used this now for a coupe of years and it is not water proof anymore it is actually quite poor in this respect and doesn't need much rain until water comes through.

I found "evilunclejoe's" post very interesting where he said that jackets are actually not really water proof like eg waders and that they have to be "reproofed" after a while. How woudl such a reproofing work?
    I was already quite fed up with my jacked and actually did some impregnating with some stuff that is suitable for breathable materials however that improved only the water repelling and also only for a short while. The impregnation is also quite much work and I don't see the point to impregnate a functional "water proof" jacket every twi times I used in in the rain.
    Especially during longer trips in heavy conditions (like north Norway) this can be really annoying when your fleece layers are getting wet and you don't have a possibility to dry them properly.

Does anyone have the same experience? What can be done about that because this can not be the solution in my opinion. Could there maybe be a problem with this specific jacket I have or do the producers not manage to come up with water proof jackets.......what are for example the guides out there doing if they use such clothing every day in heavy conditions?

Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom,
    I've had the same problem with my Loop opti 3L jacket which is about 3-4 years old. In particular, the arms do not repel the rain any more and quickly starts to stink after a good soaking. I tried to treat the jacket by washing it with Techwash, thoroughly drying and then spraying it twice with Nikwax with no real success. As fas as I know the jacket is not made from Gortex but some other "waterproof" membrane. The Loop jacket design is really good. I particularly like the fact that the retractors can be stowed away behind the zipped panels, really tidy.
    Anybody tried the new Guideline Alta wading jacket?

http://www.guideline.no/ALTA+JACKET....ate=engWebshop
    Last edited by Iolar; 04-07-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Hi,

due to this problem with my opti jacket I sent a claim to loop Norway. They told me to send the jacket. Unfortunately I did not have the original recipe anymore from the store in Norway where I bought it. Anyway the offered to replace the jacket with the latest Waimea jacket (against some fee because I had lost my invoice of the opti jacket) which should be a much better technology and quality than the earlier opti jackets.
    Since I really didn't want to use the old jacket anymore due to this problem I agreed to that and received 4 days later the new Waimea jacket (that was last week).

Have tested it so far once and have to say it is a very nice Jacket, very functional even more than the opti jacket, very light and it seems to be very good quality. Of course it is now brand new but the guys from loop assured me that this Sympatex membrane is 100% water proof and does not have any pores such as gore tex that could be damaged. So far also the breathability seems very good.
    I have to say it was a very good service from loop and I hope the jacket perform well for a long time.

On the new jacket it also says "produced in Europe" not china anymore like the opti.
    I will go this week on a one week salmon fishing trip and it is supposed to rain a lot so I guess I will find out if it works.

Regards,
    Tom

Why dont you look at breathable kayak jackets, , the touring style ones without the latex neck seals .
    I had a yak pursuit jacket when i used to do alot kayaking , if it was more of a discerning colour it would of been ideal for deep wading , complete with latex cuff seals and totally waterproof , with a double waist seal .
    Just a thought .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123