Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    newfly Guest

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think i will wait until later in the year and save up for the Simms.

ps: who is lilely to sell them for the best price
    Last edited by newfly; 12-02-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Don't get too hung up on breathability. Even the most high tech garments will struggle in certain conditions and you will get steamed up. Waterproofing is what really counts.
    Last edited by Welsh Dee; 13-02-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newfly View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think i will wait until later in the year and save up for the Simms. ps: who is lilely to sell them for the best price
    Don't ignore Sasta jackets........soft-shell breathable jackets which are incredibly light and as waterproof as any of the above. Just ask a ghillie (with apols to any who may have contributed here).

I just happen to have a brand-spanking, XL G4 in a very fetching 'Gunmetal' hue I don't need.

PM me if you're interested.

Default Sasta

I have a very abused sasta goretex jacket that has 4 years under it's belt. Still 100% waterproof, but in need of a good wash. The next jacket is going to be a Patagonia, great quality. You get what you pay for.

I know alot of guy's have the simm's g4 jacket's
    but me for one wouldn't buy another one ever again
    ive had 2 and both leaked

For me not worth the money

I got a vision jacket and to be honest i cant remember the name
    of it but it got the thub's up from trout and salmon

And ive been out in the worst condtion's fishing
    and it's never leaked once good buy for me anyway

The thing about most of these "waterproof" jackets is that they have to be re-proofed from time to time.

The manufacturers never tell you this and most of us are have the misconception that they are as waterproof as waders and will keep the rain out until they fall to bits.

They're each both waterproof and breathable aren't they????

Not at all. Apples and oranges.

Most jackets have to be re-proofed after one year and thereafter every six months.

Amazing eh? It didn't say that on the tin!
    Last edited by evilunclejoe; 30-03-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Back in the 80's i bought a wading jacket from the small ads in I think the T&S or maybe the shooting times?.
    Nothing fancy, just a dark green shiny plastic type material with a hood, two large front pockets and a white cotton lining. It cost very little and it is still going strong, totaly waterprof, windproof but unfortunatly not breathable mind you It was only ever used in spring and autumn so it did not matter that much.

I seem to remember it might have been endorsed by Hugh Falkus or perhaps it was just similar to the version Hugh wears in his book sea trout fishing. I dont suppose anyone can remember these??

Hi,
    I use a SASTA Wading Jacket & think it is the most comfortable wading jacket that I have ever had & is very waterproof. I have had Simms Jackets but they have not felt as good to wear However the water dries off the Simms Jacket quickly unlike the Sasta which holds water on the Outer Shell for a while before dry.

Thumbs up patagonia

Quote Originally Posted by newfly View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think i will wait until later in the year and save up for the Simms.

ps: who is lilely to sell them for the best price
    sports fish selling patagonia sst jacket 199, just bought one cracking jacket also have the deep wading jacket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast