Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kingfisher Shrimp Variant

An Irish shrimp based on the Kingfisher Shrimp. The Kingfisher is a very old pattern and was listed in Malone's book many years ago.

This variant leaves out the Kingfisher cheeks, over the JC, and the front black hackle has been changed to a dark badger hackle with creamy tips.

img_20191211_161146-jpg

Materials are as follows:

Tag: Oval copper
    Tail: GP breast
    Rear body: Yellow floss
    Rib: Oval copper
    Centre hackle: Orange hen
    Front body: Claret floss
    Rib: Oval copper
    Hackle: Kingfisher blue hen
    Eyes: Jungle cock
    Front hackle: a dark hackle from a creamy badger hen cape.
    Head: Black
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 11-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

I'm usually not a huge fan of the irish shrimp patterns, especially since I often find their proportions not correctly balanced. That's purely subjective, since i don't deny their efficieny and i am not able to tie them correctly.

This one is a wonder! All proportions (respective body and tail lengths, ribbing, hackles length and density) look more than perfect to me.

Another cracking tying from you. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by pfeul View Post
    I'm usually not a huge fan of the irish shrimp patterns, especially since I often find their proportions not correctly balanced. That's purely subjective, since i don't deny their efficieny and i am not able to tie them correctly.

This one is a wonder! All proportions (respective body and tail lengths, ribbing, hackles length and density) look more than perfect to me.

Another cracking tying from you. Thanks for sharing
    Thank you pfeul. I appreciate your very kind words. Glad you like it.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Much prefer this one to your drab Bann from a few days ago.
    Proportions feel much more to my liking , although.....................if I was to be critical , itís just a little too heavily hackled for my taste. A very very little ........and thatís a personal thing as noted by others.

Lovely stuff , Richard.

ps Hackle density could easily be a photography issue.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Much prefer this one to your drab Bann from a few days ago.
    Proportions feel much more to my liking , although.....................if I was to be critical , itís just a little too heavily hackled for my taste. A very very little ........and thatís a personal thing as noted by others.

Lovely stuff , Richard.

ps Hackle density could easily be a photography issue.
    It is quite heavily dressed B but it is a size 6 and intended for bigger water.

I'll get a few smaller ones tied at a later date once I get my eye in a bit more again. It's amazing how fiddly materials seem to get when you haven't tied much in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    It's amazing how fiddly materials seem to get when you haven't tied much in a while.
    Iím dreading finding out.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    It is quite heavily dressed B but it is a size 6 and intended for bigger water.
    We will let you off then

Nice fly for all of that
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Quote Originally Posted by gwelsher View Post
    We will let you off then

Nice fly for all of that
    Thanks G!!!

What a beautiful fly

Braw Flee JS.
    Bill Cook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast