Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  602
Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    Twelve have been encountered between caught, returned and lost. Yes they have been counted(9) as they are wild fish according to the rules and must be tagged according to the same rules.
    And we have had 15 hatchery fish from other fisheries which have also been counted. These must also be tagged accordingly.
    Every year our catch consists of 10-15% of fin clipped fish that do not belong in this system.
    How many more wild fish that end up in this river and are not distinguishable from others are not ours? It's anybodies guess.
    IFI reports are bulls***. They all have a 'positive spin' rather than an accurate report of true prospects/reality. E.g. "Decent water but not many salmon caught on Owenea" NOT MANY a week's fishing for 32 rods and one 5lb grilse. To my mind that is abysmal verging on disastrous. I well remember the Owenea bouncing with fish - including 10-12 pounders. Many of IFI's so-called "salmon" are 2.5-4lb grilse and no doubt include farmed fish - see Erriff reports. I know IFI want to encourage anglers, but some integrity needs to feature. There has been no mention of the veritable collapse of Currane seatrout stocks! To my mind, this is being economic with the truth and constitutes sharp practice - nothing new in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dyson View Post
    IFI reports are bulls***. They all have a 'positive spin' rather than an accurate report of true prospects/reality. E.g. "Decent water but not many salmon caught on Owenea" NOT MANY a week's fishing for 32 rods and one 5lb grilse. To my mind that is abysmal verging on disastrous. I well remember the Owenea bouncing with fish - including 10-12 pounders. Many of IFI's so-called "salmon" are 2.5-4lb grilse and no doubt include farmed fish - see Erriff reports. I know IFI want to encourage anglers, but some integrity needs to feature. There has been no mention of the veritable collapse of Currane seatrout stocks! To my mind, this is being economic with the truth and constitutes sharp practice - nothing new in this country.

I agree with every syllable of this post.

I have written in the Currane thread as follows:
    Originally Posted by liamdenn
    Hi Guys,
    Oddly enough my agency is working on new websites and an awareness campaign on this very issue for the Waterville lakes and river trust. Sites are due to go live in the next few weeks and a campaign targeting a million people to raise awareness of the issues shortly after that.
    I think it is terribly sad what is happening to the fishery but hopefully we can raise the issues which might then put some political pressure on those who can do something about it.
    Liam

What you are proposing here is misspent hope. A website - no matter how well designed - can only support a case which has been made in public - or give solid background info. on a the subject of a meeting yet to be held.

Call a well advertised meeting of local TDs, County Councillors, dignitaries, press, ITA and public....having well in advance properly briefed the press as to the purpose of the meeting. Make sure that all shops, B&Bs, hotels, telegraph poles etc have good flysheets announcing the meeting. The first agenda item should be to elect a Chairman who has a lot of straight sense, is not afraid of taking on the politicos, a determined man/woman who will lead. My advice to any such person is that he gives TDs 5 minutes to make their points, CCs; 3 mins and floor of the meeting 2 mins. IF he, the Chairman, has the guts to stop people mid-sentence because their time is up he will be taken seriously. It is imperative that the whole effort is seen to be politically unaligned.

An essential agenda item is to resolve to take a public petition to the minister/s involved, voicing great concern from all sections of the community, boatmen, gillies, B&B owners, hotels etc.

[We in Carlow had an issue back in the 60s regarding appointment of a dispensary doctor by the CC being delayed by some years! What is suggested above is the line which we took. The area involved laid on the meeting place of Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny...so we had three sets of politicos to deal with...it ended up with a meeting with Erskine-Childers and an instruction to the CC to immediately advertise the position...a good doctor was in place very shortly after.]

And good luck.

Last edited by castor; Today at 11:00 AM.

May I suggest that this advice may be appropriate in your case?

READ THIS AND THE ASSOCIATED THREAD IN THE CONSERVATION SECTION on SFF!!!

http://vitenskapsradet.no/Portals/vi...way%202017.pdf

Status of Wild Atlantic Salmon stocks in Norway

Then take action.

With the season now coming near the end I'm glad to say we are now up to 167 salmon for the season. As the run started in earnest early this year many of the fish are well coloured and the C+R rate for September is high.

The lakes are starting to show some improvement with a few more anglers starting to use them accordingly. We will keep the Castle and Middle Lakes open until and including the 12th October with a reduced rate of 60.00 (1st-12th October), boat and engine until then.

Some good brownies are starting to surface with this fish of 6.5lb caught on the Castle lake by James Persse visiting from the UK.

big-cock-jpg

A fine looking specimen! The fish that is!
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 22-09-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Lovely trout.

Interestingly judging by the background that s the exact spot where myself and Kevin encountered a fish of about this size which took a small seatrout Kevin had on about 3 years. We got it right to the boat and once it saw the net just opened its mouth and left the trout go pretty much none the worse for wear.

I wonder could it be the same fish or how long these big trout live for.

Quote Originally Posted by galway1 View Post
    Lovely trout.

Interestingly judging by the background that s the exact spot where myself and Kevin encountered a fish of about this size which took a small seatrout Kevin had on about 3 years. We got it right to the boat and once it saw the net just opened its mouth and left the trout go pretty much none the worse for wear.

I wonder could it be the same fish or how long these big trout live for.
    It also happened a while ago with French angler Pierre Dintillhac in the same spot either last year or the year before.

The trout that was nearly 7lb that lived under the bridge at the Abbey was certainly at least 12 years old before it got knocked on the head... it was totally blind in one eye and another cataract was forming over the other before I had it mounted.
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 22-09-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Default Their queuing up for the last day of the season already!

The last day is upon us and the demand is so high for space on the river that they are queuing up already for the Dawros Fishery!

herrons-jpg

God love the poor creatures!
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 29-09-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Hi all

My phoned died yesterday and I have lost all my contact details. I'm also in the process of changing computers so I have all my e-mail addresses on one and not the other. I know there are ways of doing things but I'm thick and don't know the ins and outs.

Please send me your e-mail address and phone numbers to nigelrush@eircom.net or call me at 0879580702.

Thanks.

Soon be time for Predict and Win. Ye ha!

Default Who Needs Salmon?

Had one person fishing today... Kelts, Kelts and more Kelts!
    Who needs Salmon when you can take advantage of a low tide, (lower tomorrow), for a feed like I got today!
    dsc00009-jpg
    dsc00012-jpg
    dsc00010-jpg

Happy New Season!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    Had one person fishing today... Kelts, Kelts and more Kelts!
    Who needs Salmon when you can take advantage of a low tide, (lower tomorrow), for a feed like I got today!
    dsc00009-jpg
    dsc00012-jpg
    dsc00010-jpg

Happy New Season!
    I assume that the mermaid got stranded due to the low tide as well!

Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast