Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  649
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 672
  1. #511

    Default

    What do ifi say you should do with them Nigel? You could always release them after a quick but firm tap to the head

  2. #512

    Default

    Once a farmed fish (Atlantic Salmon) escapes it then becomes wild. From thereon it should be treated the same as it's truly wild peers.
    I can understand their attitude to some degree as there would be an element of anglers out there that would adopt the 'I thought it was a farmed fish attitude' and thereby kill as much as they could of whatever flavour for the sake of a gain.
    No one likes to see anything wasted and I'm sure that they make reasonable food even though they contain major harmful chemicals and ingredients.
    I've sent off scale samples and have more to send off... the results I sure will suit whichever side of the argument for the day is pertinent. In other words... whatever they are told to say to suit the political mode of the day.
    Who are we? We are anglers that have been catching wild fish for years. We know the difference between wild and farmed (or of farmed heritage) but the powers that be will insult us by telling us otherwise.

    The Department of the Marine, the Marine Institute and Department of Agriculture will not rest until the Wild Atlantic Salmon is rendered extinct. All for their own gains and the gains of the few it employs.

    Sad but true.
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 09-09-2017 at 09:33 PM.

  3. #513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    Once a farmed fish (Atlantic Salmon) escapes it then becomes wild. From thereon it should be treated the same as it's truly wild peers.
    I can understand their attitude to some degree as there would be an element of anglers out there that would adopt the 'I thought it was a farmed fish attitude' and thereby kill as much as they could of whatever flavour for the sake of a gain.
    No one likes to see anything wasted and I'm sure that they make reasonable food even though they contain major harmful chemicals and ingredients.
    I've sent off scale samples and have more to send off... the results I sure will suit whichever side of the argument for the day is pertinent. In other words... whatever they are told to say to suit the political mode of the day.
    Who are we? We are anglers that have been catching wild fish for years. We know the difference between wild and farmed (or of farmed heritage) but the powers that be will insult us by telling us otherwise.

    The Department of the Marine, the Marine Institute and Department of Agriculture will not rest until the Wild Atlantic Salmon is rendered extinct. All for their own gains and the gains of the few it employs.

    Sad but true.
    Column inches devoted to the advent of Pacific Salmon to our rivers as if martians have arrived from Mars
    A mission to get rid of hatcheries even where brood stock are derived from same river stock
    AND IN THE MEANTIME OUR RIVERS ARE BEING INFESTED BY MUTANT FARM SALMON ESCAPEES!
    Giving rise to an inflated rod catch and I can hear the spin already that there is nothing wrong as 'rod catches & counter numbers' have held up!
    If the Scientists can work out what strain of wild salmon are indigenous to a particular catchment, surely they can work out where these salmon escapees are coming from???
    The polluter pays dictum should apply.

  4. #514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What do ifi say you should do with them Nigel? You could always release them after a quick but firm tap to the head
    I hear of a few happy otters, who do not have to expend too much energy catching fish!

  5. #515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackshrimp View Post
    Column inches devoted to the advent of Pacific Salmon to our rivers as if martians have arrived from Mars
    A mission to get rid of hatcheries even where brood stock are derived from same river stock
    AND IN THE MEANTIME OUR RIVERS ARE BEING INFESTED BY MUTANT FARM SALMON ESCAPEES!
    Giving rise to an inflated rod catch and I can hear the spin already that there is nothing wrong as 'rod catches & counter numbers' have held up!
    If the Scientists can work out what strain of wild salmon are indigenous to a particular catchment, surely they can work out where these salmon escapees are coming from???
    The polluter pays dictum should apply.
    If there had been an escape of mink from a mink farm, it would be making national news as the bird lobby went into a flat spin about depredation of curlew and other ground nesting birds!
    Does anyone know whether these farmed fish escapees stop feeding in freshwater? In other words should we be concerned for fry and parr stocks of wild fish? (Cue concerns about Pacific salmon)

    I recall fishing the River Awe in Scotland many years ago and it was full of sea reared rainbow trout escapees. Little wonder that the Awe run is reported to have dwindled to 400 salmon this year.

    It may be that the farmed salmon have figured out a way of escaping their confines in order to rid themselves of sea lice and pathogens, by swimming up the nearest river!

  6. #516
    Seamus O'Neill Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    Once a farmed fish (Atlantic Salmon) escapes it then becomes wild. From thereon it should be treated the same as it's truly wild peers.
    I can understand their attitude to some degree as there would be an element of anglers out there that would adopt the 'I thought it was a farmed fish attitude' and thereby kill as much as they could of whatever flavour for the sake of a gain.
    No one likes to see anything wasted and I'm sure that they make reasonable food even though they contain major harmful chemicals and ingredients.
    I've sent off scale samples and have more to send off... the results I sure will suit whichever side of the argument for the day is pertinent. In other words... whatever they are told to say to suit the political mode of the day.
    Who are we? We are anglers that have been catching wild fish for years. We know the difference between wild and farmed (or of farmed heritage) but the powers that be will insult us by telling us otherwise.

    The Department of the Marine, the Marine Institute and Department of Agriculture will not rest until the Wild Atlantic Salmon is rendered extinct. All for their own gains and the gains of the few it employs.

    Sad but true.
    I would love to know who in IFI made this redicilous statement. They need to check the definition of 'Wild'.
    'growing or produced without human aid or care' - uncultivated - So , are these man made fish going to be counted when calculating Conservation figures for these rivers . I would hope not , but if they are 'Wild' then !!!!!!!!
    The IFI representative who made the statement would serve the public better by identifying the source of the escaped fish and refrain from chancing their arm !!
    Last edited by Seamus O'Neill; 11-09-2017 at 12:23 PM.

  7. #517

    Default Sea Trout

    Nigel,
    What is the sea trout fishing like at present?

  8. #518

    Default

    One more farmed fish today of less than 2lb brings us to 160 for the season. Another fish was lost to the net which also fits the description of a farmer.

    I've four sets of scales samples that I'm going to each divide by three and have them tested by three individual testers.... just to see who gives what conclusion to each. This should be fun!

  9. #519

    Default

    Just curious how many farmed fish have been caught now. And should they be in your season total.

  10. #520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nore Angler View Post
    Just curious how many farmed fish have been caught now. And should they be in your season total.
    Twelve have been encountered between caught, returned and lost. Yes they have been counted(9) as they are wild fish according to the rules and must be tagged according to the same rules.
    And we have had 15 hatchery fish from other fisheries which have also been counted. These must also be tagged accordingly.
    Every year our catch consists of 10-15% of fin clipped fish that do not belong in this system.
    How many more wild fish that end up in this river and are not distinguishable from others are not ours? It's anybodies guess.

Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •