Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  649
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kylemore Killer View Post
    Hi Nigel, what's happening out there in the wild west? We haven't had a report from you in weeks!
    Like the salmon in Kylemore this August, I've sort of gone into hibernation!

After a great July which was lively and productive and with 62 fish entered into the book, August has been somewhat more difficult and as with other fisheries in the area, the salmon have had their heads down to say the least!

We did manage another seasonal landmark yesterday with Geoffrey Fitzjohn landing the 142nd fish of the year doubling last years miserable total of 71!

There is certainly no shortage of salmon in the system and hopefully when this spell of unsettled weather passes us by, we should see a dramatic improvement in the attitude of these potentially active fish as we get closer to September with the onset of some fresher weather.

Tight lines.
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 24-08-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Default Two strays.

Normally I would not be killing fish this late in the season unless it was reasonably fresh.
    However today was an exception catching two fish from the Rock Pool, in quick succession one a farmed fish of 3lb and the second a 6lb fin clipped hatchery fish from another river.

This is the first day in a long while that I have seen some spark in the salmon so hopefully it's wake up time and we can continue the season more fruitfully.

dsc00204-jpg

Note the missing adipose on one and tail and dorsal of the other smaller fish that has chicken pox!

dsc00208-jpg

Better close up.
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 26-08-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Default 150 and counting.

We now have 150 fish in the book for the season with Dermot Keane landing his first fish of his season.

Over the past couple of weeks we have seen an increased number (seven between landing and loss) of what seem to be farmed escapees or maybe smolts that missed the pens when being transferred from hatchery to pens.
    These fish may have lived below the cages before entering the river.
    Most are fairly soft to the flesh and at least one has had no colour to the flesh with a couple showing no internal signs of sexual maturity.
    All in the 3- 3.5lb range Dermot's fish is no exception.

dsc00209-jpg

And a close-up.dsc00212-jpg

Seamus O'Neill Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    We now have 150 fish in the book for the season with Dermot Keane landing his first fish of his season.

Over the past couple of weeks we have seen an increased number (seven between landing and loss) of what seem to be farmed escapees or maybe smolts that missed the pens when being transferred from hatchery to pens.
    These fish may have lived below the cages before entering the river.
    Most are fairly soft to the flesh and at least one has had no colour to the flesh with a couple showing no internal signs of sexual maturity.
    All in the 3- 3.5lb range Dermot's fish is no exception.

dsc00209-jpg

And a close-up.dsc00212-jpg
    As the Tagging Scheme is call ' Wild Salmon and Sea trout Tagging Scheme' , is there any requirement to
    tag these 'fake' salmon who are as far from wild as my cat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus O'Neill View Post
    As the Tagging Scheme is call ' Wild Salmon and Sea trout Tagging Scheme' , is there any requirement to
    tag these 'fake' salmon who are as far from wild as my cat ?
    Good question

Default Fish waking up?

With two other fish caught since my last up-date the salmon seem to be waking up from their August sleep.

Denis McMurray yesterday evening landed his first fish of the season from the Rock Pool and this morning, Ian Ferris landed another fish of 5.25lb from the same pool... a hatchery fish from some other fishery.

dsc00213-jpg

Not the freshest of fish but number 152 all the same!

a tad Black

Two more farmed fish today and numerous others encountered throughout the river during the day. Both returned... nobody wants to waste a tag on them and you can't blame them for that.
    It does not give you much incentive to knock them on the head and keep them out of the river.
    Both small at 2.5lb and 3lb fell to Geoffrey Fitzjohn's Black Shrimp. 158 for the season so far.

Would ye not kill the flipping aliens. Those fish should not be released. Not good for the river.

They could be slung into the bushes and counted as released!!!!!! (After humanely dispatching them and taking scale samples)... before I get cited for cruelty!

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast