Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  602
Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Anyone a number for nigel?

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnrossa View Post
    Anyone a number for nigel?

087 9580702.

I think it is only fair to give a bad report when it is justified!

For the first time in at least ten years that I have known Geoffrey Fitzjohn.... he blanked?

We have had water over the past couple of days... yesterday four fish... 1.5, 1.75. 2.25 and 3.25... all sea liced/fresh run etc.

What is this telling us?

The weather today was balmy to say the least and ain't going much in our favour over the next few days.

Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    I think it is only fair to give a bad report when it is justified!

For the first time in at least ten years that I have known Geoffrey Fitzjohn.... he blanked?

We have had water over the past couple of days... yesterday four fish... 1.5, 1.75. 2.25 and 3.25... all sea liced/fresh run etc.

What is this telling us?

The weather today was balmy to say the least and ain't going much in our favour over the next few days.

Nigel.
    Not the first time and most probably a case of a day too late and a day too early! Have encountered before a middling height river running fast in its channel (no doubt the fish running even faster) carrying stain and I think the PFM's expression is 'looks like lucozade', complete with bubbles.
    Will all appear in my thesis on the Dawros River to be published in another ten years time, when I have worked this river out!
    I would not be surprised if the river fished well today, Friday, as it drops back to 2' and the fish rest up in the usual spots, to be taken on a well presented fly on a floating line!

Persistent rain today has given the river a well required lift in level and plenty of river space over the weekend.
    There should be a few fresh fish available that may have been waiting in the bay for a bit of encouragement to enter the system so hopefully a few more will be added to the book.
    I landed a fin-clipped hatchery fish this morning belonging to another fishery... the seventh this year out of just sixty fish in the book for the season so far. We generally get between 10-15% of our total catch as clipped fish so 12% as our total this year is about the norm. Makes you question what other percentage is made up of stray fish from other fisheries and all this scientific **** about strain reduction by introducing other stocks when it happens on a regular basis anyhow?
    Sea Trout fishing great and a few good anglers out tomorrow to hopefully add to our so far total of 245.
    More end of week reposts tomorrow.

Default Fitzjohn back on form!

Regular angler Geoffrey Fitzjohn who on his last couple of visits blanked, today returned to form landing three fish to 5lb, two of them fresh run. Geoffrey lost two others and missed a couple more!
    Rain over the past couple of days has given the river a fresh lease of life and should continue to be fishable for the next week.
    Last week we finished without a single salmon entered into the book but with just three rod days for the week the odds were against us.
    Our total for the year so far is 64 salmon (31) behind last year and 253 Sea Trout... 73 ahead of last year entire total of 180. A record year in the offing for the Sea Trout given we have a further 10 weeks left for trout fishing.
    Pressure for boats is improving so book well in advance for weekends. Less pressure mid week.
    Last edited by Nigel Rush; 21-08-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Default Aghhast!

Just 11 fish for the month.......... worst August since 1990?
    Sea Trout however, with little angling, effort provided 143 for the record book.
    What is happening? Very bad season so far for the local area... why this area nobody knows whilst the rest of the country seems to be awash with fish this year. No signs of net marks on any fish so can't put it down to illegal activity.
    Geoffrey Fitzjohn who has accounted for five of our august fish over two angling days today witnessed a seal in the estuary at near high tide. I'm sure it did not come that far up the estuary without a reason... maybe the start of a late run. Let's hope!

Let's hope Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nore Angler View Post
    Let's hope Nigel.
    Thanks NA for your PM. Huge 6ft flood today and when I was down at the estuary this evening... sure enough a seal on a sight seeing trip. I somehow don't think so. It will be difficult fishing tomorrow if even fish-able as it has just started raining again in the past few minutes.

We'd love some of that water on the Nore lol.

Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast