Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  649
Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

The Dawros back to it's good old self today, missed 7 fish and lost another 2, only really fished one beat as the daughter's dog in tow!
    Fish in all the usual spots although more interested in inspecting my size 12 black shrimp than actually taking it, anyhow had plenty of heart stopping moments including 2 fish coming at the fly at the same time. A brilliant day.

Default Black Shrimp does the deal!

Blackshrimp fished today with two fish to the bank. Two x 4lb, one from the Upper River (Hastings) and the other from the Lower River (Lavelles). Both released and both fresh and liced.
    Ger Henehan had two connections but did not secure from the Middle River...again, fresh running fish.

Hopefully the start of a late run.

How's the water at the minute Nigel?

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    How's the water at the minute Nigel?
    Heavy rain overnight has brought up the lakes and river so good water levels should be the norm for the next four days.

Three rod days today accounted for 42 Sea Trout from the lakes. Conditions were not great with rain and mist covering the mountaintops... never a good sign.
    Still good numbers of sea trout running.
    Plenty of salmon running today with a few encounters but... rising water all day did not help.
    Ronnie Counihan secured our 49th fish for the season at 1.5lb. Not the smallest but a salmon anyway!
    Good water for the next four or five days and very few anglers?

Two more fish today and a further three lost and another four near misses for just two rods days!
    I caught a hatchery fish of 4lbs from the Rock Pool, fresh as could be and Pat Burns a three pounder from Upper Eugene's.
    I did one drift of the Castle lake... 45mins and landed eight sea trout to nearly two pound and turned as many again.

Not many bookings for the weekend so get in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rush View Post
    Two more fish today and a further three lost and another four near misses for just two rods days!
    I caught a hatchery fish of 4lbs from the Rock Pool, fresh as could be and Pat Burns a three pounder from Upper Eugene's.
    I did one drift of the Castle lake... 45mins and landed eight sea trout to nearly two pound and turned as many again.

Not many bookings for the weekend so get in touch.
    Thanks PFM for the usual up to the minute posts, sorely tempted but for house painting and dog minding! It is strange that other fisheries nearby do not post catches, not that I would have my head turned as in my humble opinion, the Dawros is not surpassed and has a much appreciated taxi service to boot. We might have to send Commander Bond to some of these other venues, if indeed he is not already there, incognito of course, to see if they can hold a candle up to the Dawros!

Default End of another week.

Pitiful rod effort, just 10.5 rod days for the week gave us 7 salmon and 56 sea trout.

A break down of lake angling of 6 rod days for the 56 sea trout shows the potential of what is available for the trout anglers.

4.5 rod days equating to 7 salmon from the river effort...say no more!

Next couple of days are busy but... next week quiet.

Default Another July over.

No records have been broken this July passed. A good run of grilse did not materialise as with other local rivers and we managed just 30 grilse for the month. This is about 20 fish less than last year. This is not to say that the run is not going to appear...five years ago, the main run was well into August so we wait in anticipation.
    This size of the grilse was significantly smaller than last year by 16% in July against the 2015 grilse and 28% for the June grilse against the same period for 2015.
    Sea Trout however have seen a dramatic improvement with 32 lake angling days accounting for 164 Sea Trout 5.1 trout per angler. The largest, of 3lb falling foul of Neil Spellacy from the Castle Lake.
    At the time of writing I have two boats out in a fine wind with equally fine anglers so hopefully more to report about the days later on this evening.

Seamus O'Neill Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshrimp View Post
    Thanks PFM for the usual up to the minute posts, sorely tempted but for house painting and dog minding! It is strange that other fisheries nearby do not post catches, not that I would have my head turned as in my humble opinion, the Dawros is not surpassed and has a much appreciated taxi service to boot. We might have to send Commander Bond to some of these other venues, if indeed he is not already there, incognito of course, to see if they can hold a candle up to the Dawros!
    It was a pleasure to have come across you Blackshrimp , and the other dedicated anglers who fish the Dawros . I agree with Blackshrimp , the Dawros is a unique little river . Connemara is a mecca for salmon angling, so many places to try and I for one intend fishing all of them. Should anyone want to contact me , send me a PM through this forum. Tight Lines
    Last edited by Seamus O'Neill; 01-08-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast