Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slaney

Default Slaney

This is hopefully going to be my first trip of the year, i have never fished the river but i understand that it can be very productive early on, i plan to go sometime at the end of march, can anybody advise a likely beat and some suitable tactics/flies etc...many thanks
    Ian

Hi Ian

It apparently gets or used to get a good spring run - I say used to as this year the river was closed to all types of fishing including with rod (as were a lot of East coast rivers). As far as I am aware this was likely to be the situation for up to 5 years. I have not heard yet if the fisheries have reviewed the situation for next year. Unless you have heard very recently I would check that the river is going to be open next March .

There are other rivers if it is closed that you could give a go eg. Finn, Blackwater, Drowes etc
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Default Slaney

Over the yearsI have spoken with several guys who are familiar with the Slaney. I haven't fished it myself but have watched it on several occasions at various points

Used to be an Easter sort of River. In other words, good anytime from March to April.

Lots of Bait fishing and spinning with yellow bellies etc. Quite deep near bankside etc in some stretches but good fly fishing at other highly exclusive parts.

I am sure there was a piece in T&S earlier this year about a Dublin angler who caught some cracking fish there in the 50's and 60's

St Patrick's day or thereabouts was the time to be on the river

There was a brief rveival in the mid-80s but I haven't much since

There is still a good sea trout run if it rains - from late May onwards

Hope that helps

Default Slaney

Quick update from the Horse's Mouth

A week either side of St Patrick's Day is when the Springers tend to arrive.

Maybe check out in conjunction with the Full Moon and High Tides etc

Sea Trout still ok in late May/June onwards if rain

Mostly Bank Fishing for Salmon as tricky wading around better pools/lies.

Hope this is of help

Alastair

Apparently there is a few signs of fish showing in the river at present level is low last rain 5 weeks ago!!!
    good signs for things to come
    atb ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    This is hopefully going to be my first trip of the year, i have never fished the river but i understand that it can be very productive early on, i plan to go sometime at the end of march, can anybody advise a likely beat and some suitable tactics/flies etc...many thanks
    Ian
    HI Ian what part of the Slaney are you going to? I have fished the river for the last 25 years so if you want some more info. you can e mail me.
    Tight lines,
    25lbs

Hidden Content

opening day horay at last!!!
    river rising all day currently 3ft+ above normal and rising as far as i know no fish caught today but looking good for late in the week and all next week given no more rain
    atb ryan

sounds promising, tight lines for when you get out Ryan
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Used to fish the Slaney a few years back at Ballycarney and also Kildavin - never caught much but it's a beautiful river in the spring. Anyone know of beats that are accessible to day rods etc?

i heard from a not very reliable source that 2 fish were got and 1 lost at clohammon today will post anymore news if can get hands on it.
    am venturing out tomorro so fingers crossed river is in a1 condition.
    atb ryan
    Last edited by ryanol; 12-03-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast