Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  885
Page 162 of 162 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1620

Thread: The River Moy

I've never fished the Ridge or Cathedral pools. Not really my thing as discussed above.

Ballina however is one of my favourite places in the world. It holds so many special memories for me my Dad and our pals who have gone with us over the years. Hoping to go back next year with 5 buddies and I can guarantee we have an amazing time whether we catch a fish or not.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I've never fished the Ridge or Cathedral pools. Not really my thing as discussed above.

Ballina however is one of my favourite places in the world. It holds so many special memories for me my Dad and our pals who have gone with us over the years. Hoping to go back next year with 5 buddies and I can guarantee we have an amazing time whether we catch a fish or not.
    I'm with you there Ben, I went with some mates in May and whilst the fishing wasn't much good for us we had a scream of a time. It was sad to see some of the places we went to in Foxford last time I was there (many moons ago) now closed down but I suppose its a sign of the time. Still the craic in the Guirys Bar (Anglers Bar) made up for it, on a couple of occasions we had to be rescued after nipping in for a quick pint after lunch. Next thing it was dark and we couldn't walk :-) lovely place, lovely craic and lovely people.

Spent a bit of time in Ballina eating, drinking and watching. I agree with comments on this thread that its not my cup of tea though I would like to fish it once just so I could say I've fished it. However at the prices they charge for half a day that will never happen, even if I had the money I wouldn't out of principle.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Not much happening on this thread this year. How's everyone's season been? I've had a few on fly and worn all below foxford but have invested a serious amount of time at East Mayo this year with no luck at all. Hoping September might be different.

its my first year as a member of East Mayo and not been able to fish it as much as I'd like. No fish yet but also hoping September might be lucky for me.

The River is yet rising again around 7 floods in the past 4 weeks with the loughs well up .Realtime waterlevel
    Fishing Almost Everyday

Ian - Iím too old to give up salmon fishing. Itís in my blood. Iíve looked at other pastimes, but I hate golf and the people you meet fishing are so much better craic than the social climbers that inhabit golf clubs. That said, I often get feelings such as the ones you have expressed. Back in the 80ís, working 5 days a week and hoping for a wet weekend, I usually managed 20-25 salmon p.a. Now retired, with time on my hands and the luxury of picking my day, I have 3 fish by mid September. Salmon are in trouble and itís getting serious. Iím just back from Mayo and apart from a brief week or so of action in July, Iím reliably informed that the Moy has been a disaster. I too remember looking over the Bridge in Ballina. Multiple rods were bent and more than one silver grilse was in the air at any moment in time. No longer. At this time of year, the upper river should be packed with accumulated fish. A day on East Mayo would have resulted in 3-4 coloured grilse, maybe an old springer and one fresh fish. I know of expert men who have fished it for days with even seeing a fish.

Things are no better in Northern Ireland. The autumn Foyle run has yet to materialise and going by last yearís experience doesnít look as if it will. Iíve lost count of the days where Iíve cast a fly over perfect black water and not seen, let alone caught a fish.

What annoys me more than anything is the attitude of IFI and the Loughs Agency. Both bodies continue to talk about Irish salmon fishing as if we were still in the halcyon days of Kingsmill Moore & Sidney Spencer. Itís a marketing exercise and the objective is obvious - rake in as much money as possible before news gets out that the golden goose is on life support. Frankly, itís dishonest and disingenuous. At no time, do these people say we are in trouble and what is being done to help. Dig deeply into the catch records and the reality becomes stark. The numbers are in set decline and proven by the statistics. Iíve asked the Loughs Agency for rod catch records regarding the Foyle, but my email was unanswered. The seatrout fishing is if any, even more dire and nowadays, anything more than a half pound finnock is rare.

I try to be optimistic, but itís difficult. My late Dad told me that he had seen the best of it and I was seeing the end of it. Where we go from here, I donít know. But, I wonít be buying a new Sage anytime soon. There was a time when I would have found such indulgences hard to resist. Nowadays, I canít justify it. However, what would be nice is a little honesty from the powers that be. They are selling a product that no longer meets their rosey description.

The moy is finished,,,simple,,its been gradually dropping this last few years this year like many other rivers it has collapsed....its to big a river to find the few fish,,to late I'm afraid and you only have to walk the banks very few tourists are there you can fool them a cpl of times but they soon catch on...
    Will be interesting reading reports later in year,,,the counters at the ridge pool having been working for at least 6 weeks so any stats are pure fiction stories to keep the few returning.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dyson View Post
    Ian - Iím too old to give up salmon fishing. Itís in my blood. Iíve looked at other pastimes, but I hate golf and the people you meet fishing are so much better craic than the social climbers that inhabit golf clubs. That said, I often get feelings such as the ones you have expressed. Back in the 80ís, working 5 days a week and hoping for a wet weekend, I usually managed 20-25 salmon p.a. Now retired, with time on my hands and the luxury of picking my day, I have 3 fish by mid September. Salmon are in trouble and itís getting serious. Iím just back from Mayo and apart from a brief week or so of action in July, Iím reliably informed that the Moy has been a disaster. I too remember looking over the Bridge in Ballina. Multiple rods were bent and more than one silver grilse was in the air at any moment in time. No longer. At this time of year, the upper river should be packed with accumulated fish. A day on East Mayo would have resulted in 3-4 coloured grilse, maybe an old springer and one fresh fish. I know of expert men who have fished it for days with even seeing a fish.

Things are no better in Northern Ireland. The autumn Foyle run has yet to materialise and going by last yearís experience doesnít look as if it will. Iíve lost count of the days where Iíve cast a fly over perfect black water and not seen, let alone caught a fish.

What annoys me more than anything is the attitude of IFI and the Loughs Agency. Both bodies continue to talk about Irish salmon fishing as if we were still in the halcyon days of Kingsmill Moore & Sidney Spencer. Itís a marketing exercise and the objective is obvious - rake in as much money as possible before news gets out that the golden goose is on life support. Frankly, itís dishonest and disingenuous. At no time, do these people say we are in trouble and what is being done to help. Dig deeply into the catch records and the reality becomes stark. The numbers are in set decline and proven by the statistics. Iíve asked the Loughs Agency for rod catch records regarding the Foyle, but my email was unanswered. The seatrout fishing is if any, even more dire and nowadays, anything more than a half pound finnock is rare.

I try to be optimistic, but itís difficult. My late Dad told me that he had seen the best of it and I was seeing the end of it. Where we go from here, I donít know. But, I wonít be buying a new Sage anytime soon. There was a time when I would have found such indulgences hard to resist. Nowadays, I canít justify it. However, what would be nice is a little honesty from the powers that be. They are selling a product that no longer meets their rosey description.
    Hi Sir , as the Loughs agency is a Goverment body it has to answer to the public as they are our employees and we pay them to do a job , the best way for information is to do a F.O.I.request where you can virtually request anything they have on record , going back around 20 years .I have been doing it for years from The Inland Fisheries Ireland ,surprising what information you can gather.I am waiting for one to come back which should make interesting reading .
    Freedom of Information Request
    The British-Irish Agreement provides that a Code of Practice for the Freedom of Information be operated under the approval of the North South Ministerial Council (NSMC). This Code has now been prepared and can be accessed below.

The responsible officer within the Loughs Agency is JP OíDoherty and can be contacted on telephone number 02871 342100.

Download FOI Code of Practice (84 K)
    Fishing Almost Everyday

Going to fish Moy friday week, hoping East mayo will drop to fly level. What type of flies are worth a try on Moy in september, very likely in big water?

Good luck and donít expect a bonanza. The Faughan Shrimp is very popular and effective up river on the Moy. My personal choice would be a Claret Tail Bann Special, but thatís just me. This time of year, youíll not go far wrong with orange, red and claret.