Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  875
Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1610

Thread: The River Moy

How is the moy fishing right now ????..

Iím just back from a 2 day trip. Fished the upper parts day 1, ridgepool in the morning on day 2 and Cloongee later that day. Saw a few resident fish, but nothing fresh. 5 rods on the ridgepool in late June and only 1 fish met. Itís the first time iv seriously considered giving up salmon fishing. Itís a joke but they still take 85Ä from you all the same. I need a new hobby!!!

My advice for the Moy is to either wait for very low water and fish the ridgepool or wait for a spate and fish East Mayo. Anything in between is a waste of time. It will be interesting to see what the IFI report on the catch count this week. It was 1 fish per day in Ballina on the 2 days I spent there.
    Last edited by Ian Carter; 01-07-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Just watched the Ridge pool webcam.... Jesus is that how desperate some have become to hook a salmon ...not that I saw any salmon let alone anyone hook one . Just about shoulder to shoulder ( 5 fishing the same pool )with no one moving and under the glare of everyone in the town centre. Each to their own but that looked like my worst fishing nightmare .

Quote Originally Posted by kinnaber View Post
    Just watched the Ridge pool webcam.... Jesus is that how desperate some have become to hook a salmon ...not that I saw any salmon let alone anyone hook one . Just about shoulder to shoulder ( 5 fishing the same pool )with no one moving and under the glare of everyone in the town centre. Each to their own but that looked like my worst fishing nightmare .
    I had to give you a like re your post.
    I was watching the Ridge Pool web cam probably at the same time as you on the big screen of the telly and I was thinking the same!
    Why would anyone get any pleasure from this kind of angling... may as well go to a fishing competition on a canal. Its the same on Galway Weir.
    Surely Salmon fishing is about getting back to nature and getting into the fresh air and not about 'shooting fish in a barrel'!
    I fished the Ridge Pool about forty years ago when there were few regulations as to what you could keep... plenty of salmon in those days. Down stream... fishery board staff were hauling out fish by draft netting.

Lot's of anglers seem to want to be seen whacking out lines and enjoy the attention of an audience... not me... I like the solitude of a mile of a river beat to myself or at least, a second angler either behind me, or in front by a couple of hours.

Tight lines... When Wombleden comes to an end...our fish will arrive. A volley of salmon!

To be fair though the weir pool just above the ridge pool is a nice place to fish in low water. You get the full width of the river to yourself. Lots of different areas to fish and rest, watercraft required, and no marching in line. A bit more of a challenge to catch and land a fish all on your own.

The ridge pool and cathedral beat is nothing more than a place to scratch the itch, get the monkey off your back. However, thats not really happening anymore. Maybe a good chance in a few dry weeks in July, otherwise your no more likely to catch in Ballina @ 125Ä than Clongee @ Ä25 (both half day rates). I know from recent records that East Mayo had 10 fish one day last week whereas Ballina had 1.

Just seen angler catching fish on Ridge pool webcam

Quote Originally Posted by Prezmek View Post
    Just seen angler catching fish on Ridge pool webcam

The river is getting low now, and we are in July so itís probably a good place to fish these days and will only get better as the dry weather continues

The moy used to be the river you went too relive the golden days of big salmon runs and remind your self how your own river used to be.....a few days on the moy and you could tolerate how bad your own river would fish for the season knowing you caught a good few fish ..the ridge would have 6 fish at a glance in the air while 2 or 3 anglers would be hooked up at the same time ,the town was a buzz with anglers ..the restaurants would be packed at night with anglers and it was a fun place to fish and great comraderie...you fished at first light as the town was empty and it had it's own peace...now it's like the rivers I had to tolerate ..but it does provide pleasure for many still...also some of these beats are easy fishing for anglers who are no longer able for long walks to the river and maybe not so confident on there feet while wading and fish with ease knowing there is someone to keep an eye on then ....

Just looked at the Ridge Pool web cam. As above, 5 anglers, all stood in a line. I actually saw one angler hook the waders of the angler in front.

Quote Originally Posted by barbonboy View Post
    Just looked at the Ridge Pool web cam. As above, 5 anglers, all stood in a line. I actually saw one angler hook the waders of the angler in front.
    At least he can talk about catching something!!!