Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  564
Page 1 of 129 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default The River Drowes

I thought I would start the 2012 Drowes thread. Post your reports, information and help on this page. I will not be able to make it on new years day but lokking forward to hearing one of the forumners get the first of the year
    Paddy
    I'm Only At Home On The RiverbankHidden Content

><(((>` . .
    ` . . ` . . . ><(((>

im in two minds as to jumping over in the ferry to the old grannies for the 1st as the house is about 70yds from the seapool think il keep a eye on the forecast and see wot the weather like

Default day ticket

Can one just show up the day of and buy a day ticket? Or do you need to purchase in advance?

In the former case where should one go and what time is the earliest they're available?

The Garavogue is very very high today. I'm sure the Drowes is flooded as well. Wondering if it's even worth fishing in these high water conditions.

I guess a bad days fishing is still better than working.

Any suggestions for flies in high flows this time of year?

If I go next week I'll post conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_canoe View Post
    Can one just show up the day of and buy a day ticket? Or do you need to purchase in advance?

In the former case where should one go and what time is the earliest they're available?

The Garavogue is very very high today. I'm sure the Drowes is flooded as well. Wondering if it's even worth fishing in these high water conditions.

So far as I know you just role up on the day and buy a ticket at their tackle shop in Lareen.
    Paddy
    I'm Only At Home On The RiverbankHidden Content

><(((>` . .
    ` . . ` . . . ><(((>

You can get your ticket from 6am on the day or a day before,the water at the min is about 9 but more showers forcast before opening day.As for fly fishing i would use copper tube flies or a sinking line to get you down,i will be spinning as i think most people will or even the worm.Conditions will be hard but you never know.

Richard

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got some fast sinking polyleaders that should be able to get a fly down somewhat. Not ideal in these high flows but I'll just be happy to swing a fly as my open water fishing season is closed back home (Canada).

Lastly, are there any opening day ceremonies that occur on the Drowes? If so, approximately what time? Doubtful I'll be able to get out Jan 1 but between New Years Day and Jan 5 the girlfriend is telling me to go everyday...haha. I guess she's sick of me...

Cheers,
    Preston
    Toronto, Canada

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got some fast sinking polyleaders that should be able to get a fly down somewhat. Not ideal in these high flows but I'll just be happy to swing a fly as my open water fishing season is closed back home (Canada).

Lastly, are there any opening day ceremonies that occur on the Drowes? If so, approximately what time? Doubtful I'll be able to get out Jan 1 but between New Years Day and Jan 5 the girlfriend is telling me to go everyday...haha. I guess she's sick of me...

Cheers,
    Preston
    Toronto, Canada

Yeah everybody ends up in the pub by lunch time for a pint and some heat!

Default 1st fish of 2012 got!

..8lber got on fly by Ian Martin AGAIN!!! Same guy as last year!! Amazing!!
    Well done Ian Martin

Drowes Salmon Fishery

Default First salmon of 2012

The first Drowes salmon of 2012 has been caught just after midday today . Weighing 8lb from the blackwater pool, caught on a cone head Collie Dog.
    Very well done.

Lisburn/Hearts on the banks of the River Mourne

Well done Ian and congratulations

Page 1 of 129 1231151101 ... LastLast