Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: River Drowse

Default River Drowse

Hi all, just starting a thread on the River Drowse.

I am only 45 minutes away from the river. I was up looking at it during the week and it looks cracking fly water. I was in the Kinlough part of the river near Lennox Bridge.

There website has been upgraded recently
    http://www.drowessalmonfishery.ie/reports/

Has anybody any advise on the River or even Lough Melvin? When is a good time to fish, is it like Blackpool Pier at the weekends?

Alright Patrick,

It's a beautiful river, & the peak of the Spring run is around now, with latest reports saying a few early grilse putting in an appearance.

Grilse generally appear in 1st couple of weeks in June. Nice fly water above Lennoxes (Brineys), and also the Mill Pool is good, but very popular.

I find it a very hard river to get fish out of, but maybe that's just me...!

Can be very busy at times, Blackpool indeed!
    Euro 2016 - Northern Ireland 2 Ukraine 0 - I was there!Hidden Content

Cheers TheDerg, thanks for the advice. Think I'll give it a go in a few weeks time. Probably best to make a mid week trip after work and give it a run for a few hours.
    I was just thinking the other day, all the usual spots are busy with anglers at the moment. Once the grilse arrive in numbers the anglers should spread out a bit more as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Cheers TheDerg, thanks for the advice. Think I'll give it a go in a few weeks time. Probably best to make a mid week trip after work and give it a run for a few hours.
    I was just thinking the other day, all the usual spots are busy with anglers at the moment. Once the grilse arrive in numbers the anglers should spread out a bit more as well.
    hi there i was on the drowes at easter and the amount of anglers was wild but was down last weekend and the amount of anglers thinned out . the water is getting on the low side could do with abit of fresh into it .seen a few nice springers over the weekend.

Patrick, you couldn't have picked a better river. The drowes is a lovely river to fish, i have been fishing it for a good number of years now. I agree it can be hard to get fish out of it. Then again you can say that about any salmon river at times. A good time to fish would depend on height of water and weather conditions. Places to fly fish would be from behind the shop, all the way down to mill pool. Good fly water between the fourmasters and lennox bridge. For worm and shrimp/prawn below lennox deeper water depths of about 12feet in places. Also very good behind the seapools. Any time from now for the grilse with some water.

Cheers BigAngus! will try them stretches with the fly that you mentioned. I am planning on hitting it next weekend. Although all that could change, especially with the weather we're getting at the minute! I have a day off work today and I am not fishing!! Some heatwave here today! You would be doing well to catch one in this weather..
    Last edited by Patrick; 16-05-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Hi Patrick, as long as the gauge at the fourmasters bridge is above 4 i would fish the runs below the bridge. from the blackhole,redroof and fish every pool paying attention to the deeper water on the left of the pools. some very good pools. if you can get on the mill pool fish it from the far side, just below the big tree.

Fished the Drowse today for the first time. Its a fine looking river. It needs rain like everywhere else at the minute.
    Fished the sea pools with the fly but no touches. Nearly everyone else were fishing the prawn. It felt weird fly fishing as everyone else were prawning it.

Fished down a pool and 5 minutes after a guy came in after me and bang got one on the prawn sandwich!! Nice grilse about 5lb.
    Fished it for about 4 hours and gave up! maybe more luck next time

Default Drowes

Patrick, How much are they charging on the drowes this year, as i think it was about 80 Euros per day in 2006? Saw a guy who had been fishing all week without a touch, finally getting into one in the stretch above the sea pools on the day that we stopped by on the way back from the Moy, we were not fishing any of the rivers as there had been rain all week and they were all in spate. But this guy with the help of an older man finally got a look at what he'd hooked, only to put it back as he had foul hooked it on the dorsal fin, a lot of euros for nothing!!

Albyn

Here are the permit details

A permit is required to fish the river,
    Day ticket; €25.
    Week ticket; €100.

These are available from 9 to 10am and 1 to 2pm from the Fishery Office, Lareen Park, Kinlough, Co. Leitrim. Tel:& Fax: (071) 9841055.
    Drowse Estuary:
    A permit is required to fish the Estuary. Permits are available as a day or evening ticket.
    Day ticket (8am to 5pm) costs €40
    Evening ticket (6pm to 10pm) costs €30.

These can be purchased from Fishery Office, Lareen Park, Kinlough, Co. Leitrim. Tel:& Fax: (071) 9841055

You also need the state licnce. The Northern Regional is €64 for the season or €50 for 21 days €34 for one day.

So if you get your state licence for the season out of the way, you're looking at €25 or €40 for a day.

Hope that all makes sense!
    Last edited by Patrick; 25-05-2008 at 10:40 AM.