Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Quote Originally Posted by Al1978 View Post
    I say we start a petition to blow ardnacrusha off the Shannon doubt it's even generating that much power when you think of all the modern technology we have now to generate power.I'm sure there would be some Europe directive to make the esb restore the habitat that they destroyed give the salmon a few year's and we could see fishing like the good old days.
    I agree that something needs done for the Shannon. There are 6,369 likes on the Old River Shannon Research Group site on Facebook..I don't know enough about global water schemes and in terms of best practice - have there been successful strategies to reverse 20th century government water management schemes that have brought back anadromous fish i.e. salmon, sea-trout, char etc to their former runs?Also is the government bound under any EU regulations to reverse antiquated water schemes?
    Last edited by tmca; 25-10-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Default Not in Fred Buller's Books-One of the largest known Irish Salmon

A massive male salmon weighing 60lb - after spawning, probably 65-70lb+ on entering the river with the typical elongated kype of very large male 4 MSW (+) Atlantic salmon. A beast.

This easily beats Michael Maher's fly caught Irish record salmon from 1874 on the Suir which was 57lb.

This salmon can be seen on the ground floor of the Natural History Musuem in Dublin. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was there.

Netted on Lough Neagh, year unknown - coming from the river Bann most likely. I think it's been caught from the 1950's onwards from the great condition of the cast??

It says Board of TCD on the case so I think again to hazard a guess this was donated by Trinity College Dublin??

With the glass case there's some reflections but you can see it fairly clearly.

Last edited by tmca; 27-03-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Missed some additional info

Default Big boy

Quote Originally Posted by tmca View Post
    60lb male salmon (after spawning) 65lb+ on entering the river? This salmon can be seen on the ground floor of the Natural History Musuem in Dublin. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was there.

Netted on Lough Neagh, Year Unknown - coming from the river Bann most likely? I'd think it's Maybe?? 1930's onwards from the great condition of the cast.

It says Board of TCD on it so I think to hazard a guess this was donated by Trinity College Dublin??

With the glass case there's reflections but you can see it fairly clearly.

To be honest I would have given it more than 65lb if it has already been through the spawning process. Don't think there would have been too many fish pushed it off it's chosen lie!!!! What a great pity the way things have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by luney View Post
    To be honest I would have given it more than 65lb if it has already been through the spawning process. Don't think there would have been too many fish pushed it off it's chosen lie!!!! What a great pity the way things have gone.
    Indeed! Still you'd be surprised the size of some salmon still running rivers... Someone just needs to catch one..

A pure beast of a fish .

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718