Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  100
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Al1978 View Post
    I say we start a petition to blow ardnacrusha off the Shannon doubt it's even generating that much power when you think of all the modern technology we have now to generate power.I'm sure there would be some Europe directive to make the esb restore the habitat that they destroyed give the salmon a few year's and we could see fishing like the good old days.
    I agree that something needs done for the Shannon. There are 6,369 likes on the Old River Shannon Research Group site on Facebook..I don't know enough about global water schemes and in terms of best practice - have there been successful strategies to reverse 20th century government water management schemes that have brought back anadromous fish i.e. salmon, sea-trout, char etc to their former runs?Also is the government bound under any EU regulations to reverse antiquated water schemes?
    Last edited by tmca; 25-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Default Not in Fred Buller's Books-One of the largest known Irish Salmon

A massive male salmon weighing 60lb with the typical elongated kype of very large male 4 MSW (+) Atlantic salmon. A beast.

This easily beats Michael Maher's fly caught Irish record salmon from 1874 on the Suir which was 57lb.

This salmon can be seen on the ground floor of the Natural History Musuem in Dublin. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was there.

Netted on Lough Neagh, year unknown - coming from the river Bann most likely. I think it's been caught from the 1950's onwards from the great condition of the cast??

It says Board of TCD on the case so I think again to hazard a guess this was donated by Trinity College Dublin??

With the glass case there's some reflections but you can see it fairly clearly.

Last edited by tmca; 21-10-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Missed some additional info

Default Big boy

Quote Originally Posted by tmca View Post
    60lb male salmon (after spawning) 65lb+ on entering the river? This salmon can be seen on the ground floor of the Natural History Musuem in Dublin. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was there.

Netted on Lough Neagh, Year Unknown - coming from the river Bann most likely? I'd think it's Maybe?? 1930's onwards from the great condition of the cast.

It says Board of TCD on it so I think to hazard a guess this was donated by Trinity College Dublin??

With the glass case there's reflections but you can see it fairly clearly.

To be honest I would have given it more than 65lb if it has already been through the spawning process. Don't think there would have been too many fish pushed it off it's chosen lie!!!! What a great pity the way things have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by luney View Post
    To be honest I would have given it more than 65lb if it has already been through the spawning process. Don't think there would have been too many fish pushed it off it's chosen lie!!!! What a great pity the way things have gone.
    Indeed! Still you'd be surprised the size of some salmon still running rivers... Someone just needs to catch one..

A pure beast of a fish .

Default Here's some others I've found over the last 2 years....

Thanks to forum member, the gap, for most of the Suir Fish below from the Carrick on Suir And District Anglers Association Facebook page.

William Marshall 29.5lb Moy Salmon (Late 80's)

william-marshall-29-5lb-moy-salmon-late-80s-jpg

Sean Ward, Inver Co. Donegal with his 38lb salmon sold at auction at Burtonport. Year is 1986.

sean-ward-inver-co-donegal-38lbs-bought-auction-burtonport-1986-jpg

38lb Salmon caught on the Suir Late 1940's.

38lb-salmon-caught-carrick-suir-late-1940s-jpg

Two 20lb+ salmon caught on the Suir - late 80's?

2-x-25lb-suir-salmon-early-90s-jpg

40lb salmon netted on the Suir late 1970's by Toddy.

40lb-suir-salmon-taken-toddy-late-70s-jpg

30lb salmon caught and released on the Suir 2013.

30lb-suir-salmon-released-2013-jpg

Owen Jackman's salmon he caught in September 2016 on the fly from the Suir I think from around Kilsheelan. It was listed conservatively at 30lb+ on the Angling Ireland site. Local anglers estimated it at 32-35lb. (Angling Ireland/Inland Fisheries Ireland Site)

owen-jackman-32-35lb-salmon-suir-2016-jpg
    Last edited by tmca; 06-10-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks for posting tmca. That's one Lough Neagh monster alright. I do wonder why they thought it had spawned already. It doesn't look like it at first glance though I suppose they must have had reason. I'll satisfy myself without any proof whatsoever that it was likely one of the Armagh / Tyrone Blackwater fish. A river where a few right lumps of fish would usually be present, one having that type of a genetical strain to favour the odd larger fish.
    Last edited by minitube; 06-10-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Hi, yeah I saw that by chance when I was in the Natural History museum a few years ago. It such a huge stocky fish. Not sure why they thought it'd spawned before.

Sounds like you've located the origin! I didn't think the Bann had such big fish. I'd an article photocopied here on a previous post from an Angling Ireland magazine I bought years ago and a lot of 20lb+ salmon came from the Corrib which again I didn't think was a river for big salmon in the last 30 odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post
    Thanks for posting tmca. That's one Lough Neagh monster alright. I do wonder why they thought it had spawned already. It doesn't look like it at first glance though I suppose they must have had reason. I'll satisfy myself without any proof whatsoever that it was likely one of the Armagh / Tyrone Blackwater fish. A river where a few right lumps of fish would usually be present, one having that type of a genetical strain to favour the odd larger fish.
    Last edited by tmca; 06-10-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmca View Post
    Hi, yeah I saw that by chance when I was in the Natural History museum a few years ago. It such a huge stocky fish. Not sure why they thought it'd spawned before.

Sounds like you've located the origin! I didn't think the Bann had such big fish. I'd an article photocopied here on a previous post from an Angling Ireland magazine I bought years ago and a lot of 20lb+ salmon came from the Corrib which again I didn't think was a river for big salmon in the last 30 odd years.
    Ah right, now I get it. I've been taking it up wrong, spawned before, they mean a year or two before, back to sea and returning again, not caught just after spawning a few months before. They would think that because a previously spawned fish has more spots on the gill cover than a first time returning fish. Though perhaps they did a scale reading.
    Last edited by minitube; 06-10-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Well that's just my thoughts. Based on what I've read I thought a fish that big at 60lb+ couldn't just be 4 years at sea but had spawned before and returned. Your point re the gills spotting would tie in. I think you can also tell from the scales if a fish has spawned so maybe that's why it was thought it'd spawned already after it was captured -through a scale reading. Not sure if scale reading shows the difference between recent spawning and some years before. It certainly doesn't look emaciated or spent as if it's just recently spawned. It's a huge ridiculously thick fish when you see it in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post
    Ah right, now I get it. I've been taking it up wrong, spawned before, they mean a year or two before, back to sea and returning again, not caught just after spawning a few months before. They would think that because a previously spawned fish has more spots on the gill cover than a first time returning fish. Though perhaps they did a scale reading.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast