Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by reddie View Post
    A photo of Shanks at work passed onto me by a friend.

A brilliant photo from a time long past, all a part of our fishing history.

Default What once was ...

Anyone who'd like to get a flavour of how wonderful salmon fishing - and rough shooting and Irish gundogs - was like less than a century ago could to a lot worse than read the chapter

"A Hut on the Lee"

in

Irish Bogs: Sport and Country Life in the Irish Free State
    by John William Seigne
    Longmans, Green and Company Limited, 1928.

Seigne, a British Navy man, complains that there were hardly twenty 40 pounders caught in the Nore - if memory serves - the previous year!
    And if anyone has a copy they'd sell I'd love to hear from them
    Best
    Jack, who may have been born 100 years too late

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    Anyone who'd like to get a flavour of how wonderful salmon fishing - and rough shooting and Irish gundogs - was like less than a century ago could to a lot worse than read the chapter

"A Hut on the Lee"

in

by John William Seigne

Seigne, a British Navy man, complains that there were hardly twenty 40 pounders caught in the Nore - if memory serves - the previous year!
    Best
    I'll have to check that one out! Might be on google books.

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post

"A Hut on the Lee"

in

by John William Seigne

Best
    let me get this right,he was complaining that there had only been twenty or so 40lb fish caught in the Nore,wowzers when one reads stuff like this it makes it clear how things have changed.

There was so much more food back then I guess,around the same time they used to fish for 1000lb tuna off Scarborough on the back of huge herring stocks

Quote Originally Posted by tmca View Post
    Great article below on one of the very last living Castleconnell ghillies from the Cork Examiner, May 10th, 1976.

Some huge fish listed here including one of 64lbs, easily beating the Irish record.

A very interesting read - Many thanks to forum member Jack Power at the Irish Examiner for this.

Great read,there's a great read in Taverner about Castle Connell in its prime and it's scary reading indeed,the hooking part wasn't the problem it was landing em,apparently they bust up sturdy gear for fun in the powerful currents of the Shannon.
    I guess if you tame the river the fish don't need to be large supreme athletes anymore?

Default More Boyne salmon

Frank Luce, (son of A A Luce, mentioned earlier in the thread), got a fish of 37lbs from the Mollies on the Blackwater at Navan around 1965. I heard the story from him and his brother John Luce. Dublin angler Rory Harkin, who many Irish salmon anglers will know, had a 33lb fish from the Stackallen beat, lower down the main river Boyne, in the same year I think.

Re Frank Luce's salmon, I had the year wrong - it was 1966, April. A scale was sent for analysis & it was a 3 sea winter male fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ballintemple View Post
    Frank Luce, (son of A A Luce, mentioned earlier in the thread), got a fish of 37lbs from the Mollies on the Blackwater at Navan around 1965. I heard the story from him and his brother John Luce. Dublin angler Rory Harkin, who many Irish salmon anglers will know, had a 33lb fish from the Stackallen beat, lower down the main river Boyne, in the same year I think.
    ballintemple many thanks for that info. I'll add it to the list.

Default One from Buller - A 51-52lb River Bandon Salmon

I think this is the first time I've put a fish from Fred Buller's book on the thread, but the image says it all.

An incredible photo of a time long past which would remind you of a scene from Ryan's Daughter.. This 51-52lb salmon was taken in the River Bandon's estuary in drafts nets.

There is no information on the year from Buller, but from the looks of the image it would probably be post war, late 1940's maybe stretching to 1950??

As below, this photo was copied from a framed photograph that can be seen in the Bulman Inn, Kinsale. The book also notes that there is also a cast of a 35lb salmon in the Spaniard Inn, also in Kinsale.

Last edited by tmca; 21-09-2014 at 12:00 AM.

What a fish. The others aint bad either.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast