Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Default Shanks Touhy - last of the Castleconnell Ghillies

Great article below on one of the very last living Castleconnell ghillies from the Cork Examiner, May 10th, 1976.

Some huge fish listed here including one of 64lbs, easily beating the Irish record.

A very interesting read - Many thanks to forum member Jack Power at the Irish Examiner for this.

That was a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by tmca View Post
    Indeed! Yup you're right doesn't seem there's much of a spring run left. I'll definitely have a look through that specimen list. I'd looked there before but there was just a few reports put up.

Re: the Devons - from the list of big fish I have and what I've been able to find out was actual methods of capture for these salmon Devon Minnows are the No. 1 method and of those fish the number 1 colour is funnily enough Blue/Silver. It could be the no.1 method is actually the Fly but I'm only going on the info I have. Most fish are just listed as rod caught and theres on info on the exact method.

I've counted 10 fish going back to the 1920's to the present day and all weighing 25lb+ caught on Blue/Silver minnows, the majority of them Spring fish and the size of the Devons in most cases 3'' though ranging from as low as 1.5'' to 2.5'' as well.
    devons are perfect for spring fishing as they don't put much strain on your rod/reel in heavy flows .blue and silver would have been used when the rivers were running clear ,yellow and green in dirtier water .still a deadly method of catching salmon .and easier to use than flying c s .the reason for 3inch is the weight ,the springers would be down deep .

I see the Bandon had a fish also in the list. Like Octopus tells us about the Boyne, the Bandon used to be a great spring river also, with March being the best month.
    The Blue and silver was "the" Devon bait to use, brown and gold in coloured water. A blacksmith in Innishannon before would only use a 1/2 inch Blue and silver adding his own weight inside the lure.
    Big spring salmon are still about, with a 22lb fish caught last April on fly.
    May seems to be the month on most rivers now for spring fishing.
    Brilliant article also. This is a great thread, keep it coming!

Great article.
    "You don't fish for fish, you fish for fishin" MacGyver.

Default Shank's story ...

"one pull of the net under the weir, 300 fish, the smallest around 30 pounds ... "

Imagine, and imagine still even if they were only 20 pounds ...

All gone, all destroyed in less than two lifetimes ...

Quote Originally Posted by nore fly View Post
    devons are perfect for spring fishing as they don't put much strain on your rod/reel in heavy flows .blue and silver would have been used when the rivers were running clear ,yellow and green in dirtier water .still a deadly method of catching salmon .and easier to use than flying c s .the reason for 3inch is the weight ,the springers would be down deep .
    That explains it perfectly actually.

Thanks for posting that amazing article Tmca, a thousand pounds in 1901 is equivalent to 107,395 in todays sterling, for one beat on the Shannon.
    To put into further context Ardnacrusha dam was built at a cost of 2.6million, the annual budget of the entire country in 1925 was only 25million.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasted heretic View Post
    Thanks for posting that amazing article Tmca, a thousand pounds in 1901 is equivalent to 107,395 in todays sterling, for one beat on the Shannon.
    To put into further context Ardnacrusha dam was built at a cost of 2.6million, the annual budget of the entire country in 1925 was only 25million.
    No bother! Yes it's a serious amount of money for back then, your figures just show how the country has grown so much from then. Jack Power from the Irish Examiner and a forum member sent the article through to me so many thanks to him.

I'll just keep posting up the odd thing I find and if anyone has anything too they want to post that'd be great.

Turlough
    Last edited by tmca; 28-08-2014 at 11:14 PM.

A photo of Shanks at work passed onto me by a friend.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast