Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  100
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    No names, the lads in the pic are fishery officers and cops. Hardly that many fishery officers in the country now.
    ......and the cops are all on the road collecting taxes
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    The picture of the fish that Jack refers to in 1) above

That's some fish, close to 4ft or just over.. By most of the accepted Atlantic
    salmon weight/length median calculations it'd be between 46-48 inches inches long.

The Killybegs salmon talked about earlier was one I found on a Facebook Group called - it's a mouthful.....'Facebook salmon & seatrout fly tying and fly fishing discussion page' that forum member octopus told me about. Whoever the poster was said the fish was caught in draft nets off Killybegs.

There's also a few photos on there - all of big rod caught Suir fish - including a 40lb Suir salmon from the late 70's and another fish of 38lb from the late 40's and a 30lb fish caught and released last year.
    Last edited by tmca; 01-02-2015 at 04:09 AM.

Default Angling News Feb 1990 - Large Irish Salmon 1973-1988

Strange one but I found this article from an old Angling News article from February 1990 in the garage at the weekend during a clear out..

The fish are mostly springers in the mid 20's up but a few 30lb plus. Quite a lot from the river Corrib which I wasn't aware of producing many large fish as well as the usual as I would call it 'The Big 4' - Suir, Nore, Boyne and Slaney. Plus it gives some intell on methods of capture. Most of the fish were caught on 2.5'' - 3'' Devon Minnows... Do people fish much with Devons anymore??

Last edited by tmca; 01-02-2015 at 04:13 AM.

I see the Boyne springers are caught as early as February and March. The Boyne was known for it's early run of fish, I think it used to open in January but doesn't open until March now. The early spring run is mostly gone now. You'd be doing well to catch a fish in April these days.

Looks like the devon minnow was the lure for springers back then, none of the fish caught from May on was caught on one though.

I had some devon minnows for sale in the classifieds. I will be trebling the price now and rebranding them as springer magnets!
    "You don't fish for fish, you fish for fishin" MacGyver.

Default Intresting

Quote Originally Posted by tmca View Post
    Strange one but I found this article from an old Angling News article from February 1990 in the garage at the weekend during a clear out..

The fish are mostly springers in the mid 20's up but a few 30lb plus. Quite a lot from the river Corrib which I wasn't aware of producing many large fish as well as the usual big fish rivers - Suir, Boyne, Nore and Slaney. Plus it gives some intell on methods of capture. Most of the fish were caught on 2.5'' - 3'' Devon Minnows... Do people fish much with Devons anymore??

THANKS FOR SHARING

I'm sure you've seen the specimen fish records but just in case here's the link. Doesn't seem to be any salmon recorded until the mid 80's for whatever reason.
    Annual Reports | Irish Specimen Fish Committee
    "You don't fish for fish, you fish for fishin" MacGyver.

I GOT THIS BAD BOY HEN MY PIC AS AVATAR ON A BLUE/SILVER DEVON 2.5 INCH ON 22/11/2013 AT 9.00AM SUN WAS JUST COMING ONTO THE WATER DAY I WILL REMEMBER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    I see the Boyne springers are caught as early as February and March. The Boyne was known for it's early run of fish, I think it used to open in January but doesn't open until March now. The early spring run is mostly gone now. You'd be doing well to catch a fish in April these days.

Looks like the devon minnow was the lure for springers back then, none of the fish caught from May on was caught on one though.

I had some devon minnows for sale in the classifieds. I will be trebling the price now and rebranding them as springer magnets!
    Indeed! Yup you're right doesn't seem there's much of a spring run left. I'll definitely have a look through that specimen list. I'd looked there before but there was just a few reports put up.

Re: the Devons - from the list of big fish I have and what I've been able to find out was actual methods of capture for these salmon Devon Minnows are the No. 1 method and of those fish the number 1 colour is funnily enough Blue/Silver. It could be the no.1 method is actually the Fly but I'm only going on the info I have. Most fish are just listed as rod caught and theres on info on the exact method.

I've counted 10 fish going back to the 1920's to the present day and all weighing 25lb+ caught on Blue/Silver minnows, the majority of them Spring fish and the size of the Devons in most cases 3'' though ranging from as low as 1.5'' to 2.5'' as well.
    Last edited by tmca; 27-08-2014 at 06:37 PM.

There was another 30+lb salmon caught the same week as the 35 pounder on the Nore. There was a fair few more caught over 30lb that were never published.

Hiya, I'd well believe it. I'm sure there's many, many big salmon unreported out there.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast