Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    1) A fish ... a hen I think, of 41 pounds 13 ounces was caught in drift nets in Galway Bay on June 10, 1997 by Martin and Gearoid Codyre. A picture of the fish, being held by David Fahy of Galway Bay Seafoods holding the fish was published in the Irish Examiner ....

2) In July 2003 in Cork's English Market I saw three fish filling one fishbox at O'Connell's fish mongers. A fourth fish could not have been put in the box. I asked Pat O'Connell to weight it for me ... it was 39.5 pounds. I'm sure about this because I went home and put the details in my game book. They were, he told me, landed at Glandore and I don't ever expect to see a better trio of Irish fish.
    The picture of the fish that Jack refers to in 1) above

Last edited by kgm; 18-08-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Default draft

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    Why was there a net outside killybegs at all I'm 2012? Would be my question .
    Draft net not drift net, an Irish solution to an Irish crisis ... but you're dead right, nets probably still there.

Cheers jack , I'm just a little confused as draft nets are supposed to target estuaries if my understanding is correct of the whole netting situation, and I wouldn't say any of the rivers around killybegs are able to provide a harvest by such means . I fish the glen just up the coast from killybegs and the yellow river which meets glen at bottom is closed for catch and release so although I know problems exist/have existed with netting in teelin bay I'm surprised to think this netting is being done legally around this area. **** up in a brewery springs to mind of whoever issues these licences !

Cool Handled this fish - he was a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    The picture of the fish that Jack refers to in 1) above

Great to get this photo of David Fahy and GBSF salmon. Handled this fish thanks to John Holland, a gentleman of Fisheries and he looked amazing against the grilse.
    41lb salmon with a grilse

Largest salmon in the west (Corrib) stands in NUIG

69Lb salmon caught in Galway Fishery Cribs 1866 and sold in London for £12,s3,d0. Replica donated by Thomas Asworth (Fishery Owner) to NUIG Museum.
    Salmo salar

On behalf of Jack Power.

Caption: A picture from Irish Examiner archives of raid on poachers' sheds in Blackrock, Cork in 1927. At that time the Lee was a wonderful salmon river. Now it has a hydro scheme, huge abstraction demands and a lot of, em, exploratory anglers. Descendants of the lads who netted these fish maybe?

To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Over 100 scary

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    On behalf of Jack Power.

Caption: A picture from Irish Examiner archives of raid on poachers' sheds in Blackrock, Cork in 1927. At that time the Lee was a wonderful salmon river. Now it has a hydro scheme, huge abstraction demands and a lot of, em, exploratory anglers. Descendants of the lads who netted these fish maybe?

Who were their tailors? I need a new suitpiece and neckerchief.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLWAYSALMO View Post
    Over 100 scary
    ...and nearly half that amount again.

We should start a sort of spot the ball competion and see who comes up with the nearest amount. Bag of smarties for the correct answer and a days fishing on the Castle/Middle Lake for the smartie answer!

They net the river legally at Blackrock Castle now claiming tradition rights, any names in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by stylie View Post
    They net the river legally at Blackrock Castle now claiming tradition rights, any names in the article?
    No names, the lads in the pic are fishery officers and cops. Hardly that many fishery officers in the country now.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast