Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Cheers, glad you like! I'll post more as I find them.

Big fish posted on facebook page 'Facebook salmon & seatrout fly tying and fly fishing discussion page' (yes that is the full name!).

Try the link below if you're on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    "You don't fish for fish, you fish for fishin" MacGyver.

some very nice fish/pics lads those were the days you seem to get your fair share of big fish I don't know much about your rivers but the more I read about them the more interesting they seem to be. correct me if I am wrong (I often am) but there seems to be access for nearly everyone! that's a good thing, I love these old photos, and the posts/stories connected to them. the only thing that I myself don't agree with is the strong nylon theory, I fish big rivers and never use more than 12lb nylon anything bigger to me dose not cast/fish right (that's only my opinion) when a fish is hooked it has to be played accordingly and I have only very rarely been snapped, when we fished shrimp we went down to 6lb and have landed salmon 3 times that size on it. my thinking was that you probably would not have hooked in the first place if big nylon had been used I have also had fish in the late 20-early 30 bracket all on my favourite 12lb maxima mind its checked and renewed regularly and as said before (that's only my opinion)
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Big fish posted on facebook page 'Facebook salmon & seatrout fly tying and fly fishing discussion page' (yes that is the full name!).

Try the link below if you're on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Cheers, lots of huge fish there, I'll check it out!

Default Some others...

Brian McCormick's 30lb Spring salmon caught at Wells Stream, Tombrick fishery, River Slaney with a prawn fly late 50's. (Slaney Rivers Trust website)

Another Slaney salmon - Pat Cronin's 35lb springer caught at the Basket Hole Pool, 1990. (Slaney Rivers Trust website)

Pat Doyle’s father with 6 salmon caught upstream from Enniscorthy Slaney one of which is 30-35lb (Slaney Rivers Trust website)

A dead cock salmon found speared and left or lost, weighing just under 30lbs. (Slaney Rivers Trust website)

Sean Downe's approx 30-32lb+? Lough Beltra salmon (early 90's?) (Beltra Fishery website)

Hard to ascertain this one - it's a long fish maybe 42 inches - I think it's about 28lb maybe more? - from maybe 5-8 years ago, pretty certain I got this off the Beltra Fishery website.

A stocky approx 25-27lb? salmon Dee or Glyde - mid 90's. (Dee & Glyde Fishing Development Association website)

32lb male salmon caught in a draft net outside Killybegs harbour, Donegal, Summer 2012.

Last edited by tmca; 24-07-2014 at 01:08 AM.

I'm still wondering why the green tag is not closed on that last fish.
    Actually i'm not wondering, I can probably make a very good guess. Probably what i'm really wondering is why bother to make the token effort of shoving the tag through the gills at all.
    Not trying to derail the thread here, great photos as always.
    "You don't fish for fish, you fish for fishin" MacGyver.

Yup good question, Not sure myself.

Great photos thanks for posting. I'd probably guess that the tag was locked in place and then an attempt was made to lift the fish by the tag. I've done it myself with much smaller fish and burst the tag. A great thread. And Marty 12lb maxima would land a whale. Try fishing 12 fluoro for a laugh. Maxima great stuff for strength but don't expect the 'more modern' materials to act like such .

Default two more modern lumps ...

1) A fish ... a hen I think, of 41 pounds 13 ounces was caught in drift nets in Galway Bay on June 10, 1997 by Martin and Gearoid Codyre. A picture of the fish, being held by David Fahy of Galway Bay Seafoods was published in the Irish Examiner ....

2) In July 2003 in Cork's English Market I saw three fish filling one fishbox at O'Connell's fish mongers. A fourth fish could not have been put in the box. I asked Pat O'Connell to weight the biggest one ... it was 39.5 pounds. I'm sure about this because I went home and put the details in my game book. They were, he told me, landed at Glandore and I don't ever expect to see a better trio of Irish fish.
    Last edited by JACK POWER; 16-08-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Why was there a net outside killybegs at all I'm 2012? Would be my question .

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast