Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Costello & Fermoyle Fishery

Pleased to report that Geoffrey Fitzjohn caught a fresh 6lb salmon in Beat 2 yesterday evening on, would you believe, a size 10.....Black scrimp fly. There is lovely water at a height to allow fish to run into the system without there being to much. This is the second salmon in the past two weeks and the expectation is, that there are more fish there to be caught.

Default Costello & Fermoyle system

At long last the weather has changed and yesterday we had a bit of water and more to follow over the coming week.
    We had two boats out on Glenicmurrin and from previous disastrous catches of ones and twos, the 5 rods managed to catch 12 sea trout ranging from 1/2 to 1 1/2 lbs and many more lost.
    A bit of fresh water and the sea trout switch on.

Looking forward to better runs when the river rises but happy that fishing has improved with less heat, cloudy and at times wet conditions but still awaiting a lot of rain that is needed to bring up the very low levels that the loughs are in after the heat wave.

As the lower parts of the Costello system fill with much needed water, fish are running in the higher levels with Geoffrey Fitzjohn taking 1, 4lb, fish on Thursday evening and returning on Saturday morning with Sean Kelly to each land a salmon in the 4-6 lbs. Friday saw a number of rods fishing Glenicmurrin with the best Jim Dix , guided by Sean Bollustrum catching 12 sea trout and losing a salmon while Declan Conlon and Donal Monaghan having 8 sea trout. Carrick was quiet while Clogher produced 4 sea trout and Fermoyle also had 4 sea trout to David Micks and Richard Kelly. Looking forward to this week when conditions will be good either on the river or the loughs

After a drought enforced absence I finally got back out to fish the Costello & Fermoyle fishery yesterday. The previous weeks rain has brought the river and lakes up to lovely fishing height. I fished Fermoyle and managed a coloured grilse about 6lb. lost another grilse about 3 or 4lb and 6 seatrout. Best about 2lb but rest normal finnock size. Good to note that they were all in top condition, nicely stocky and fat. This is the same condition I have seen in the seatrout from the Kylemore, Erriff, Ballinahinch. Great to see and long may it last.image-3-jpg

I have noticed though that Autumn seems to be coming in fast. The grilse were well into their tartans and its only just August.

Quote Originally Posted by galway1 View Post
    After a drought enforced absence I finally got back out to fish the Costello & Fermoyle fishery yesterday. The previous weeks rain has brought the river and lakes up to lovely fishing height. I fished Fermoyle and managed a coloured grilse about 6lb. lost another grilse about 3 or 4lb and 6 seatrout. Best about 2lb but rest normal finnock size. Good to note that they were all in top condition, nicely stocky and fat. This is the same condition I have seen in the seatrout from the Kylemore, Erriff, Ballinahinch. Great to see and long may it last.

I have noticed though that Autumn seems to be coming in fast. The grilse were well into their tartans and its only just August.
    Well done Galway 1!

While the salmon fishing has been slow with only 1 girlse caught by Michael Hayes Dublin of 5lb on Beat 1 on Sunday 19th August, there has been great catches of fat, plump finnock , mostly in the 1/2 lb range with Denis Egan and that Cork sea trout mystro, Dan Donavan taking Glenicmurrin by storm and catching 20 sea trout and rising as many more.
    High water levels has not reduced taking fish though expectations are high that many fish will run to the upper loughs.

Quote Originally Posted by curranb View Post
    While the salmon fishing has been slow with only 1 girlse caught by Michael Hayes Dublin of 5lb on Beat 1 on Sunday 19th August, there has been great catches of fat, plump finnock , mostly in the 1/2 lb range with Denis Egan and that Cork sea trout mystro, Dan Donavan taking Glenicmurrin by storm and catching 20 sea trout and rising as many more.
    High water levels has not reduced taking fish though expectations are high that many fish will run to the upper loughs.
    Popped down to River Beat 1 last evening. Good water but looked very dead and rain threatening, never a good condition. Pleasantly surprised to catch & return a nice 5lb relatively fresh hen salmon in the Dinner pool and hook a fresh fish in the Hedge pool on my third cast. Salmon appear to be coming back on song and not a bad 1/2 hours fishing by any standard.
    More rain last night so river continues in good order.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshrimp View Post
    Popped down to River Beat 1 last evening. Good water but looked very dead and rain threatening, never a good condition. Pleasantly surprised to catch & return a nice 5lb relatively fresh hen salmon in the Dinner pool and hook a fresh fish in the Hedge pool on my third cast. Salmon appear to be coming back on song and not a bad 1/2 hours fishing by any standard.
    More rain last night so river continues in good order.
    Wednesday 5th Sept was a good day on the fishery with the daily best catch of sea trout for a boat now standing at 21 due to the efforts of Shane Meharg and Hugho Frew who were unlucky not to have many more to the boat. It helped that they engaged Sean Bolustim to guide them on Glenicmurrin.
    Last Friday saw Paul Roche catch his first salmon of 41/2 lbs on beat 3 of the river and taken with Geoffrey's Fitzjohn's catch on Wednesday, the high water levels in the river for the past week is allowing fresh fish both salmon and sea trout to run the Costello system.

Default Costello & Fermoyle Fishery

Quote Originally Posted by curranb View Post
    Pleased to report that Geoffrey Fitzjohn caught a fresh 6lb salmon in Beat 2 yesterday evening on, would you believe, a size 10.....Black scrimp fly. There is lovely water at a height to allow fish to run into the system without there being to much. This is the second salmon in the past two weeks and the expectation is, that there are more fish there to be caught.

Good to see Peter Westwater catching his first Costello salmon of 3 1/4 lbs today while out on Glenicmurrin, as well 11 sea trout finnock

Default End of 2018 season figures and draft catch figure for 2019

Although a difficult summer for anglers, we managed 28 salmon and a respectable 668 sea trout, missing any salmon for July due to adverse conditions.
    It will take a lot of effort to exceed draft catch figure for 2019 of 161 salmon but with better conditions should see see us up to 100.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast