Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  54
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by iainmortimer View Post
    What weight of lure are you using Ian? Your one looks great - I may grab a few myself in case I experience the same when I'm there - or do you have SBS for making them?
    That one was very heavy at 26 grams. The norm seems to be around 19. I lost this lure eventually and didn't have any action for the rest of the day on the 19 grammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carter View Post
    Stuffed with fish!!!! Nothing showing but I hooked 4 fish this morning, netted 2, a 3lb and my fish actual salmon of around 7 or 8lb. The bigger one was pure silver and gave a good fight on the spinner. My homemade purple and gold (Im a Wexford man)!

Attachment 38745
    I like your rear hook dressing Ian, i may trt something similar myself. Thanks for posting
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Any fishing news from the Blackwater today? Any body fishing up above Mallow?

Its very quiet here ....

Quote Originally Posted by lax0341 View Post
    Its very quiet here ....
    I was thinking the same abs as Im out there Thursday with not much rain forecast before or while Im there...

We had 5 salmon last Friday afternoon (6 hours of fishing) to two rods around the ballyhooley area with a few more hooked and lost. All of the fish had been in the river for some period of time - good action nonetheless. Fish were caught on sinking lines and size 8 doubles. I hope this helps.

Day 1 of my trip and I caught one of around 7lb in an afternoons fishing. Wonder if I can get 2 on day 2

Quote Originally Posted by iainmortimer View Post
    Day 1 of my trip and I caught one of around 7lb in an afternoons fishing. Wonder if I can get 2 on day 2
    Great news. You fish now without the pressure of having a blank. Looks like there will be a rise of around 25cm in water level overnight in the Ballyduff area. It will be a different river tomorrow, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carter View Post
    Great news. You fish now without the pressure of having a blank. Looks like there will be a rise of around 25cm in water level overnight in the Ballyduff area. It will be a different river tomorrow, good luck!
    It came up about 0.4 in the end and quite dirty and so unsurprisingly I blanked. Fining our had clearing nicely now though so hopefully a few fresh to tempt tomorrow!

Well that was a good trip all in and everyone on the Fortwilliam Estate was brilliant being really accommodating and full of the Irish hospitality that puts many others to shame.

Communication from the start was very good with great advice on the fishing from Paul Whelan and a fairly last minute change to my booking accommodated without any problem.

Due to a late ferry I arrived on the Estate at 6am. No problem (a regular response!) as someone would come along to give me keys and show me to my room and generally around the accommodation. My room and every other area was finished to a very high standard and spotlessly clean. The ladies who look after the accommodation are brilliant and we shared a few laughs.

The salmon fishing was tough with a spate n the middle but I managed a fish to the fly (size 10 cascade) on the first day and then a second around 6lb on the final day to the same fly with a couple of other good during pulls one of which I feel I fluffed by tightening up to soon.

The beats themselves ete varied and all come with a variety of water and plenty of pools suitable for the fly, spinning or prawning. The ghillie Chris is superb clearly pointing out the best holding areas as well as those worth a punt and some lovely looking water but to be avoided unless a last resort as theyve never had a fish from it! He also improved my casting no end with a few tips.

I was also amazed at the number of kingfishers abs otters of which I saw many amongst lots of butterflies and other wildlife.

All in all this was a brilliant, scenic place hosted by one of the best bunch of people you could ever come across - Im already thinking about my second visit...

Gear I used:
    13 6. #8/9 rod
    Floating line
    10 medium or fast sink polyleader
    9 leader
    Flies mostly size 10 - 12.

Attachment 39147
    Attachment 39148
    Attachment 39149
    Attachment 39150
    Last edited by iainmortimer; 05-09-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011