Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lough salmon fishing.

Just wondering what set up you are using for spring salmon on Irish loughs..rod lengths, lines flies etc........I have a 10ft 8 weight with floating line and a wf line will this suffice for springers. ...

Yes, however you may wish to use intermediate or sinking lines also. There also needs to be enough backing on the reel for a potential long run with no riverbank to stop it. You can also use switch rods.
    Last edited by minitube; 04-04-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

I use a six weight rod 10 feet in length for all of my lough style fishing. Can`t say I`ve ever caught a springer this way but I have caught some decent wild trout with this set up. I would imagine with the reel drag set up the correct way and, as Minitube says, with plenty of backing on board, you would be able to play a powerful fish on this set up. The real clincher with the slightly lighter outfit is that it is a lot more pleasant to fish all day long.
    You won`t catch anything if you don`t keep your bugs in the water!

With so many brands and ranges of fly lines available can any one point me in the direction of a make of intermediate line that wont break the bank as i wont be using it much.also I have a shakey 12ft 9 with an intermediate 8 weight line is this rod overkill in a boat....I know it's a double hander ..but would it work for out for a days fishing..also if I am using 3 fliess on a sinking or intermediate line will the fly on the top dropper be fully submerged. .and what files would you suggest .....
    Last edited by nore fly; 04-04-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nore fly View Post
    With so many brands and ranges of fly lines available can any one point me in the direction of a make of intermediate line that wont break the bank as i wont be using it much.also I have a shakey 12ft 9 with an intermediate 8 weight line is this rod overkill in a boat....I know it's a double hander ..but would it work for out for a days fishing..also if I am using 3 fliess on a sinking or intermediate line will the fly on the top dropper be fully submerged. .and what files would you suggest .....
    You`ll need arms like Popeye to fish that all day long from a boat. Stick to a 10 footer. I only fish two flies nowadays for all my lough style fishing and that includes browns. Fewer fanks and more time fishing, especially in a big gusty wind. For salmon -a top dropper fly such as a big bushy Jaffa or Green Peter or even a big claret bumble style of fly, with a small salmon fly on the point
    Last edited by PETEY; 04-04-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    You won`t catch anything if you don`t keep your bugs in the water!

Default Barrio intermediate

Hi nore fly, I bought a bario intermediate for my 6 weight last year and it's the nicest line I've ever cast with. Brand new, 27.00 delivered!!! I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I think it's the glxi, hope that helps, cheers Leigh

I use a Lochmor Z #7/8 11'3" with a 6" extension handle, floating or Inty line, 2 flies (see Lough flies thread) and 12lb maxima. With this setup I can double hand overhead cast without fatigue and lift the bob fly into the surface at a decent distance from the boat. Remember salmon ain't boat shy and I have taken them within a rods length of the boat. Presentation is more important, splashy casts are a no no, and short lining is the way to go - no need to cast to the horizon.

That all being said your 10ft # 8 will more than suffice.

Default Strip a Sunray!!

Rod and line are grand but an intermediate line would be a help - and don't be afraid to put up a small sunray shadow and strip it. Sidney Spencer might not approve but the fish won't mind.

What flies work for you on a intermediate set up....was reading about bumbles on top dropper a lot but guess only on a floatingset up....
    Last edited by nore fly; 06-04-2017 at 11:46 AM.

What flies work for you on a intermediate set up....was reading about bubbles on top dropper a lot but guess only on a floating set up....
    I've caught most springers on a size 10 executioner, fantastic fly. Also like a red arsed green peter muddler if fishing with a floater. Im also in the two fly set up gang, I use 14/16 lb riverge grand max and the leader the same length as the rod, in my case a sage xp 11ft #6.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast