Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering

Default Neutering

Hi all and best wishes for the new year.

Looking for some balanced advice about whether to get my dog neutered or not.
    He is a parson Russell just coming up to 1 year old. He has a super nature and is fantastic with people and other dogs. My problem is every so often he just runs off into the distance and totally ignores the whistle or me calling him back.
    I suspect he has picked up a scent of a *****, as he is usually pretty good at recall.
    Is this an age thing which will pass as he matures or am i always going to get this problem unless he gets fixed.
    I have always had *****es before so im unsure what to do.

Steve

Cool Gettin your little fella done!

Well now

Its not really an age thing, good advice is not whether to get him done but to think of a good reason NOT to get him done.

Not all 'dogs' are the same... I had my Border Collie done but might not next time, although it has stopped him humping my daughter..

This is a difficult one.. trouble with asking a vet is that they want your hard earned cash...

Here's a good answer, think about preventing a load of pups that no one wants...how sad is that..

Is that any good if not have a happy new year and give him a pat for me...

The simple answer is don't have him castrated.
    Why??
    The only reason you would want him castrating if he has retained one or both testicles up in his groin (Monorchidism or Cryptorchidism respectivley) or if he developed health problems ie Cancer,infection etc.
    Castration will not change his behaviour.His hormone & testosterone levels will reduce but that will not change his behavioral attitude.
    Train him or if he has a tendency to run off use the simplest form of all dog training and put him on a lead!!
    Lastly,you might not want to use him at stud now but you might in the future.Dog's with no balls can't breed!!!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I'm with Simon on this one.

You "suspect" he has picked up the scent of a ***** when he runs off, in other words you don't really know what he's scented.

Say you do decide to get him castrated and lo and behold he still runs off, what next, cut off his legs?

You wrote "Is this an age thing which will pass as he matures or am i always going to get this problem unless he gets fixed." I would say the dog could be trying it on, seeing what he can get away with and yes the problem needs fixed, though not by a vet but through going back to basics in training and you showing him that he can't get away with it.

Good luck with him and all the best for 2012.
    A man's a man for a' that.

Thanks for the advice, i knew that if i asked the local vet i would only get one answer, and was looking for more of a balanced view.
    I have worked really hard on recall training and when there are no other dogs about he comes back like a rocket to the whistle He is clever dog and may be trying it on, so i will go back to basics and work harder on his training.
    Did not want to have him neutered, just had so many people were telling me that was the reason i could not get him back.
    I will leave him entire and see how i get on.

Regards Steve

Quote Originally Posted by airsprite View Post
    Thanks for the advice, i knew that if i asked the local vet i would only get one answer, and was looking for more of a balanced view.
    I have worked really hard on recall training and when there are no other dogs about he comes back like a rocket to the whistle He is clever dog and may be trying it on, so i will go back to basics and work harder on his training.
    Did not want to have him neutered, just had so many people were telling me that was the reason i could not get him back.

Regards Steve
    Well done..Let us all know how he gets on
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by airsprite View Post

Regards Steve
    Hi Steve,

How is your dog doing?

I have a 9 month old cocker who is doing well in his gundog training but is hyper (even for a cocker and I have had a few). Jumping up and mouthing are becoming serious issues that are challenging me and the trainer. The castration question came up today. I have never done it before but am thinking about it, and am reluctant. Long term health benefits may be a plus.

Has your dog calmed down and was it a passing phase?
    Last edited by Reiver Flash; 07-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.

[QUOTE=Reiver Flash;433822]Hi Steve,

How is your dog doing?

I have a 9 month old cocker who is doing well in his gundog training but is hyper (even for a cocker and I have had a few). Jumping up and mouthing are becoming serious issues that are challenging me and the trainer. The castration question came up today. I have never done it before but am thinking about it, and am reluctant. Long term health benefits may be a plus.

He,ll never make it shooting if you knacker his nuts. Medical reason should be only time you consider this. He,ll end up like a tellytubby too!

you have to tell the dog your the boss, then treat them,
    the dog running away get a long thin rope or washing line tie it to his callor let him go holding the cord in your hand when you see it about to run out shout stop and yank the neck out of him and say good boy call him back he won't come back draw him back and treat him keep doing this at shorter and longer lenths so he dosn't get used to running fourty or fifty steps this should work,
    springers are hyper dogs changeing your vocie helps and the odd smack and treat when hes good,my dogs will do nothing for my wife at all because she uses the same voice all the time.
    william

All good sound advice but remember there is the odd dog that defies training. I suppose its an equation between the hours put in and the quality of dog afterwards. I've seen a setter recently that has been trained by a man with 30 years experience and also been in the hands of a well respected gun dog trainer and the dogs pants. Neutering may eradicate some bad habits, but without seeing the dog in action advice it's difficult to give. The only thing I do know for certain is that vets drive expensive cars!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast