Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 12g side by side

I am thinking this season of getting a side by side 12g shotgun. Can any one recommend somewhere to get good advice about this or somewhere I can get a good second hand gun. Don't want to spend a fortune or get ripped off, or end up with a gun with limited use left in it.
    N.B. Not sure if it matters but I would need something that will take bismith as I do a bit of duck flighting.
    Cheers
    Nick

It all depends on your location but there are some good deals out there at the minute if you know where to look.

As far as side by sides go, if you get a good AYA at the right money you shouldn't have any problems.

Check out this website:

www.guntrader.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    I am thinking this season of getting a side by side 12g shotgun. Can any one recommend somewhere to get good advice about this or somewhere I can get a good second hand gun. Don't want to spend a fortune or get ripped off, or end up with a gun with limited use left in it.
    N.B. Not sure if it matters but I would need something that will take bismith as I do a bit of duck flighting.
    Cheers
    Nick
    How much do you want to pay..??
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

up to 6k / gun if a pair or 8-9K if a single gun.

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    up to 6k / gun if a pair or 8-9K if a single gun.
    Just a cheapo then...
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Just a cheapo then...
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew English guns were expensive but ...
    Note, I did say up to... found a pair of holland and holland's which where @5.5K, but the guy selling them says they are knackered and will need mucho pounds spent on them.
    I started with a much lower price point but everyone I talk to says a different thing.
    I am now thinking a pair of new AYA #2 round body sidelock's may be the way to go. Don't know if anyone has a view on them, but any feed back would be appreciated.
    I don't want to sound glib, but I only want to buy something once if I can, and it would be good if I could hand it on to the boy.
    Also if you add up all I spend on shooting each year and year on year then in a round about way it seems to make sense to spend a bit extra on the actual gun(s)

I've shot with an AYA No 2 for ages and like it a lot albeit have become addicted to O/U 16 bores for partridges and everyday pheasants.

If you are looking at buying an AYA try to get an old one (mine's a 1961 gun) and it was built when Franco was piling a lot of mney into the Spanish arms business.The wood will be much better and they are a much more solid gun than the modern ones which frankly I'm not so much of a fan of.

Possibly easiest to buy two similar guns and then have them altered to fit an make up a composed pair as proper pairs tend to be at a premium and their aren't that many pairs of AYA's about.

I'd also make sure they have 28in or 30 in tubes unless you are a fan of short barrels.Re-sale,unless they are to be used almost solely as trad driven partridge or grouse guns will be tough,and they tend not to hold their value as well as a pair of 28in tubed guns.

Oxford Gun Co always sell a few and Weldon Gun Room have a couple in at present albeit the wood is like MDF on the newies and needs darkening usually.

I'd suggest you buy a either a pair of lesser known English sidelocks or a pair of SBS A&D's boxlocks.You'll be able to buy an English or Scottish pair for a decent price,cased and IMO they are probably likely to be better than the pair of AYA's you can get for the same money.

Glasgow Gunmakers have some nice pairs in and always have some very nice and well priced single boxlocks too.

As for other makers have a look at Arrieta and particulalry Arrizabalaga if you want Spanish game guns in the English style.

I'd buy a pair of guns and then spend the rest on a good sbs or O/U with a 3in chamber,pistol grip and multichokes or a boxlock live pigeon gun that has been teague lined (not choked) for the wildfowling and non-lead stuff you'll run thro it.

IMHO you are looking for the pair to do too many things and there are very few pairs of sbs about able to take steel shot comfortably and without doing long term damage to the guns.With the budget you have got you can get a good pair of driven game guns and a 'fowling piece and easily have change from the 9k and all will be heirloom material.

I can probabaly put you onto a decent pair of AyA No2s with single triggers if you pm me.

ZH
    "O hielan' streams ah covet nain....................."

Hi Zephead. Great reply!
    Already have a couple of o/u, so only need the sbs. Will investigate your ideas and then get back to you.
    Cheers
    Nick

There is a pretty strong demand for English guns at present and prices are therefore strong, but a phonecall to William Elderkin in Spalding would probably pay dividends. He has a good stock of sbs's.
    May you fish interesting pools

Here's a good gunsmith who can supply you with anything from baikal to a round action dickson

Have a look at the stocklist for some ideas and he gives great advice too.

Not connected, just a happy customer

http://www.gmackinlay.com/stocklist.htm

Clydebuilt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast