Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone shooting in Northern Ireland should read this

I have just recieved this email from the BASC about the new wildlife bill that will be voted on on Tuesday in stormont.

Alert over last-minuteamendment to Wildlife Bill

A last-minute amendment to the proposed Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill has been tabled which, if enacted, would give the Department of the Environment, power to implement by-laws that could have serious implications for shooters in Northern Ireland.

The draft bill, which goes through Stormont on Tuesday 22 June, already threatens a total ban on snaring and the removal of both curlew and golden plover from the quarry schedules.

More importantly, this last minute amendment (Amendment 23), tabled by DUP MLAs Jim Wells and Peter Weir, calls for the Department of the Environment to be given powers which would allow the Northern Ireland Environment Agency to restrict shooting and prevent disturbance to any wildlife on or near Areas of Special Scientific Interest (ASSIs).

In recent months BASC Northern Ireland has spearheaded a lobbying campaign calling for a rethink on certain parts of the Bill, which culminated with the presentation of a petition containing nearly 1,000 signatures to Environment Minister Edwin Poots on the steps of Stormont.

BASC’s Tommy Mayne said; “We need to alert as many people as possible to this new threat and redouble our efforts to have this new amendment, and the Environment Committee's original proposals to ban snares and remove both curlew and plover from the quarry schedules, overturned. It is vital we make our views known to the Minister and to the MLAs concerned."

If it were to be implemented, parts (g) and (f) of Amendment 23 could prohibit or restrict the shooting of birds of any description, both within and surrounding or adjoining an Area of Special Scientific Interest.

BASC members and others involved in shooting and conservation are being urged to voice their opposition to this latest amendment, by emailing or telephoning the Environment Minister Edwin Poots, or the MLAs responsible for tabling this latest amendment, Jim Wells MLA and Peter Weir MLA, both of the DUP.

Their contact details are:

Environment Minister Edwin Poots; office 02892 603003, email edwin@edwinpoots.co.uk

Jim Wells MLA: office 02841 769900, mobile 07856235144, email jimwells7@aol.com

Peter Weir MLA: office 02891 454500, mobile 07889242252, email peter.weir@northdown.gov.uk

Basically this means an end to shooting not only in ASSI's but also the areas surrounding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    I have just recieved this email from the BASC about the new wildlife bill that will be voted on on Tuesday in stormont.

Alert over last-minuteamendment to Wildlife Bill

A last-minute amendment to the proposed Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill has been tabled which, if enacted, would give the Department of the Environment, power to implement by-laws that could have serious implications for shooters in Northern Ireland.

The draft bill, which goes through Stormont on Tuesday 22 June, already threatens a total ban on snaring and the removal of both curlew and golden plover from the quarry schedules.

More importantly, this last minute amendment (Amendment 23), tabled by DUP MLAs Jim Wells and Peter Weir, calls for the Department of the Environment to be given powers which would allow the Northern Ireland Environment Agency to restrict shooting and prevent disturbance to any wildlife on or near Areas of Special Scientific Interest (ASSIs).

In recent months BASC Northern Ireland has spearheaded a lobbying campaign calling for a rethink on certain parts of the Bill, which culminated with the presentation of a petition containing nearly 1,000 signatures to Environment Minister Edwin Poots on the steps of Stormont.

BASC’s Tommy Mayne said; “We need to alert as many people as possible to this new threat and redouble our efforts to have this new amendment, and the Environment Committee's original proposals to ban snares and remove both curlew and plover from the quarry schedules, overturned. It is vital we make our views known to the Minister and to the MLAs concerned."

If it were to be implemented, parts (g) and (f) of Amendment 23 could prohibit or restrict the shooting of birds of any description, both within and surrounding or adjoining an Area of Special Scientific Interest.

BASC members and others involved in shooting and conservation are being urged to voice their opposition to this latest amendment, by emailing or telephoning the Environment Minister Edwin Poots, or the MLAs responsible for tabling this latest amendment, Jim Wells MLA and Peter Weir MLA, both of the DUP.

Their contact details are:

Environment Minister Edwin Poots; office 02892 603003, email edwin@edwinpoots.co.uk

Jim Wells MLA: office 02841 769900, mobile 07856235144, email jimwells7@aol.com

Peter Weir MLA: office 02891 454500, mobile 07889242252, email peter.weir@northdown.gov.uk

Basically this means an end to shooting not only in ASSI's but also the areas surrounding them.
    Actually it would also spell an end to angling from what I am hearing.
    "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." —George W Bush, Sept. 29 2000.

I am informed this morning that this will not be tabled today. It may re appear at some time in the future.
    "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." —George W Bush, Sept. 29 2000.

As far as i can gather this is now coming up at 2pm today
    http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/stream.htm
    Last edited by granite; 22-06-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    Keep Hunting!

It was pulled.

Sounds like sense to me...who in their right mind would want to shoot a ringed plover...or shoot near an ASSI!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán View Post
    Sounds like sense to me...who in their right mind would want to shoot a ringed plover...or shoot near an ASSI!
    or dig one up, build a bridge and a road through one?

Wonder when it'll come up again? I'll try to find out at the weekend at the game fair. Cheers FB.

I would say that a big majority of shooting in the North is done in and around ASSI's. Three that spring to mind immediatley are the foyle, lough Neagh and strangford lough. All these have a wildfowlers club. The Foyle wildfowlers have some ground from practically the faughan to beyond the Roe. They put in a lot of effort each year maintaining habitat for wild birds. They lease the sporting rights each year and buy land themselves along the foyle when it becomes available. I know the strangford wildfowlers do the same.

People don't seem to realise the part that the shooting community has in keeping the countryside the way it is.

All that effort so they can sit in the mud at 6 O'Clock on a freezing december morning waiting on a flight of duck!!! To some its madness, to others its heaven.

Like salmon, once you eat wild duck its hard to buy the farmed stuff. Very lean and tender meat. Beautiful.

It has not been pulled it's happening now .
    Keep Hunting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast