Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by williegunn2 View Post
    What used to be called a mongrel, but give it a fancy name and double the fees, and you have a designer dog.
    Yes, like a Cavapooahua pup that my daughter's friend bought...1,600!!! and there was 8 in the litter and obviously not KC regd. 13k..Not a bad turnover.
    I bred a litter of Springers last year FTCh x FTW they all went eventually but they weren't braying my door down for them.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It has been suggested to me that most spaniels by the time they reach then end of their lives are half trained. Labradors of course are born half trained
    If they have no bread let them eat Brexit.

Well I reckon Hunterdor or Labaway is a far cooler name for a mongrel than cockerpoo...so there
    Cheers
    Aled

(My Mongrel and he is a proper mongrel, as he was born from an unplanned mating between a Labrador x NZ Huntaway, however he is a lovely pet, and I have put some work into him, and I reckon he will be fine for my rough shooting and wildfowling)
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Default cocker rescue dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Aled View Post
    There are rescue dogs out there that need homes, there is a Working Cocker Spaniel that rehomes dogs, they have a Facebook page, I had a look at rehoming one, however some lab X puppies arrived on the scene and we now have a mongrel!
    Cheers
    Aled
    never thought id get a rescue dog already have a working cocker I thought Id give a home to a rescue cocker this was from a puppy farm we have her a year shes terrified of men heartbreaking to think what she went through as far training her hopeless. but you know what she a cracking wee dog friendly with other dogs and loves nothing more than a run in the park she just had a bad start in life but getting better day by day

For what its worth (very little) I noticed that working ESP's seem to have changed shape since I used to go shooting and beating as a boy, and now look like the working cockers I used to see at Game Fairs in the 80's and 90's - the ESP's look better now in my opinion than they used to.

I have only come to this conclusion from looking at photos, when I was also researching dogs last year, but havent actually got one yet - so this is not based on hard experience.

If working ESP's are slightly less excitable than cockers (but still look good) that seemed to be the way to go for me.
    Last edited by offshore; 20-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    For what its worth (very little) I noticed that working ESP's seem to have changed shape since I used to go shooting and beating as a boy, and now look like the working cockers I used to see at Game Fairs in the 80's and 90's - the ESP's look better now in my opinion than they used to.

I have only come to this conclusion from looking at photos, when I was also researching dogs last year, but havent actually got one yet - so this is not based on hard experience.

If working ESP's are slightly less excitable than cockers (but still look good) that seemed to be the way to go for me.
    What's an ESP?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    What's an ESP?

An ESP is not an English Springer Pointer, but a case of TMA - Too Many Acronyms..

Now I have got your attention Simon, would you say a working strain English Springer Spaniel (ESS) is a better bet than a working Cocker for most people , temperament wise - especially if it would be more of a companion , than a full on working dog ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    An ESP is not an English Springer Pointer, but a case of TMA - Too Many Acronyms..

Now I have got your attention Simon, would you say a working strain English Springer Spaniel (ESS) is a better bet than a working Cocker for most people , temperament wise - especially if it would be more of a companion , than a full on working dog ?

Thanks
    I knew what you meant. I was just joking.
    Anyway it's horses for courses really and down to personal choice. I've had a couple of Cockers, Lab's and over a 100 Springers through my hands over the years but without doubt a well bred English Springer Spaniel with working or FT history will always be the better all round dog. You can get some pretty big Cockers these days but you can never tell even with DNA testing if there's a good bit of Springer Spaniel thrown into the mix to give the Field Trialling Cocker an unfair disadvantage. Pound for pound the Springer will always come out on top in the shooting field.
    Quicker, tougher in cover, easier to handle, more trustworthy, won't run of with your bird and bury it but that said there are some hellish Cockers out there.. Weather they're full 100% pure Cocker Spaniel though is anyones guess.. Google 'Queens Cocker'.. I'm saying nowt
    Last edited by simon grace; 20-06-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123