Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Responding to myself here but it would seem there are quite distinct differences between show and working cockers. Body/head shape, length of coat, ears, temperamen etc. I must do more studying haha...

Thanks again everyone

Jamie

Get a working cocker from a good kennel, you'll not regret it. Their intelligence, energy and friendliness is somerhing else.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    Get a working cocker from a good kennel, you'll not regret it. Their intelligence, energy and friendliness is somerhing else.
    or get a springer

Quote Originally Posted by Finglas View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will pm you simon.

P!scator, we did consider a lab. That has been our big decision. A lab or a spaniel. But to be honest, at the moment a spaniel seems like itll be more manageable from a size perspective. Small house and elderly gran in the house so i fear a lab would be too much for her to deal with, knock her over etc.

Thanks everyone

Jamie
    A young spaniel in the house will be far more boisterous
    than a lab

Forget about cockers, they are dogs for professionals. 99% of them are stark raving bonkers. Only ever seen one good one and that was a keepers dog.
    Get a lab, it will be far less bother in the house than a cocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Finglas View Post
    Hi everyone,

Think its just about my first time posting in this sub-forum.

We have been thinking of getting a dog for some time now and recently we have been considering getting a wee cocker. There will often be someone about the house and we can get a dog walker if necessary but im hoping the 3 cats we have might offer the dog some company too 😂.

Anyway, ive been looking at them for a while and the adverts are a bit of a minefield. There seems to be a lot of differences, some dogs are from parents that have had genetic health checks in case they could pass on potentially dangerous diseases etc etc and some seem to not be checked. Some are kc registered and some are not etc etc.

So i am just wondering if there is any key things i should be looking for? Or perhaps you know reputable breeders that you would be willing and kind enough to recommend ?

In all honesty it won't be a proper working dog. Though i would like to think itd be well enough behaved for me to take it on the odd bit of walked up shooting in the future. I would definitely take it fishing with me on days were im resigning myself to just looking after the dog as opposed to doing much fishing myself.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Jamie
    Hi Jamie
    You should consider a cockapoo I picked up Jura from a lady in East Kilbride who advertised a litter in Feb 18 picked her up in 18 April and she has been brilliant, her Mother was a working cocker and she was a beauty.

I have had her on the Halladale , Tay , Tummel ,Lyon & Orchy and she has been great company she swam the Orchy last Saturday in a 2ft spate and nearly gave me a cardiac

Also in the last year she has been up numerous Munros with my daughter.

Altogether a great family dog great with Kids and other animals and not a bad bone in her body.

The best bit is she doesn't shed hair which the wife loves

Cheers Shug

P.S I named her Jura after the island as she is dark as their Single Malt but sometimes at 10pm I think it should have been after Duracell Batteries she has that much energy

I don't think Jamie's that serious about getting a dog..
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by orchy1999 View Post
    Hi Jamie
    You should consider a cockapoo I picked up Jura from a lady in East Kilbride who advertised a litter in Feb 18 picked her up in 18 April and she has been brilliant, her Mother was a working cocker and she was a beauty.

I have had her on the Halladale , Tay , Tummel ,Lyon & Orchy and she has been great company she swam the Orchy last Saturday in a 2ft spate and nearly gave me a cardiac

Also in the last year she has been up numerous Munros with my daughter.

Altogether a great family dog great with Kids and other animals and not a bad bone in her body.

The best bit is she doesn't shed hair which the wife loves

Cheers Shug

P.S I named her Jura after the island as she is dark as their Single Malt but sometimes at 10pm I think it should have been after Duracell Batteries she has that much energy
    What used to be called a mongrel, but give it a fancy name and double the fees, and you have a designer dog.

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    Forget about cockers, they are dogs for professionals. 99% of them are stark raving bonkers. Only ever seen one good one and that was a keepers dog.
    Get a lab, it will be far less bother in the house than a cocker.
    My experience of them to, I used to do a lot of beating and I never saw a decent working cocker, they where mostly out of control in every aspect.
    This one woman was boasting of her dogs pedigree and how great it was, at the start line it went straight off would not come back , killed a pheasant or two and she had this electro shock collar that she kept zapping it with every time it didnít obey and this was on every command so the thing was a quivering wreck by lunch so she brought out her second cocker that preceded to be worse than the first dog.
    And thatís just one day with some cockers !
    I always found it hilarious when the guns where using there own to pick there birds up and they would not give them back,chew them up and then decide to go and join the beaters messing up the whole drive.. I would of been embarrassed to take them any where!
    I had one jump in whilst trying to land a fish the other day , no recal but I like this one as every Sunday when I see it about that time or afterwards I usually get a fish on..... so maybe they could be a good dog to get.
    Last edited by Mattytree; 18-06-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by williegunn2 View Post
    What used to be called a mongrel, but give it a fancy name and double the fees, and you have a designer dog.
    How dare you pistols at dawn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast