Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Difficult for distance diagnosis in general. As far as that, a Vet saying, Google is not the best Doc is not completely wrong.
    But itís natural to take informations and ask for possible diagnosis. As in human health care, a second opinion in serious health issues could be worth a try.

For Lyme-Borreliose:
    A lot depending on the area we are living in. I canít talk for your region, but if your Vet says itís rare while it is not for your region, go to another Vet.
    Itís still one of the most not detected causes of health problems for dogs here in South Germany - and not seldom also for hunters. Here itís not at all rare!
    Most of my friends and myself as hunters were infected and needed treatments after ticks.
    Treatment with Antibiotika, as soon as possible after first symptoms and diagnosis shows good effects. The blood tests and Tita diagnosis are not always reliable. They only tell that the body was dealing with Bacterium Borrelia in the past.
    After all, better to take 3 weeks treatment with Antibiotika than to risk serious longtime problems. I can already hear the big BUT: itís already too much Antibiotika used and in the environment... Yes it is, but I see the consequences of not done. To safe with Antibiotika after catching a cold or influenza while avoiding body stress would do a lot. And a change in production of Antibiotika in China and India because of best profit.

Itís more difficult in judging symptoms on the dogs. Daily careful search for ticks by hand and taking them away this way as fast as possible is best prevention. If used to it, they like it as a special form of care and love. I wouldnít also bother in doing a treatment with Antibiotika for the dog, if there are symptoms of an infection by Borrelia.
    Additional prevention for dogs by using surface treatments on the skin Fipronil based. All forms of tablets are involving the whole organism. Itís not the first choice.
    If being extreme careful and in sorrow for the dogs/cats health, there are some solvents based on plant oil/ethereal oils with mixed results.

The danger of ticks we can get from our dogs shouldnít be underestimated too. Ticks choose the ďbetter skinĒ and better taste, especially when we took care for the dogs protection...

In general, hunters are more in danger of ticks. As fishermen we are mostly in rubber boots or waders.
    If not, best protection is socks above the trouser to close ďthe first entranceĒ. Maybe difficult for Scots😁... and traditional Bavarians😁😁😁

Hope your dog will recover soon, no matter what was the reason for those issues !

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    I keep up with Frontline, I check after moorland and woodland walks but sadly nothing is 100% effective - Merle is currently being treated for Lyme Disease. This post is both a cautionary tale and also a call out for anyone else whose dog has had it, as her recovery is slow and I am wondering what the future holds.

Her initial symptoms - high fever, insane drooling, whimpering in pain/fear, racing heart, inability/unwillingness to use her back legs. I called the emergency vet on a Saturday night, got her temperature down and took her in as an emergency on a Sunday morning, and she was admitted on the Monday morning due to dehydration and fever. They put her on a cooling drip, did some in-house blood work and sent loads of blood and joint samples out to more advanced testing facilities.

Cautionary tale - I recognised the symptoms and called the surgery on the Tuesday to ask whether they thought it could be Lyme Disease. My vet wasn't on shift. The receptionist was very impatient with me - "diagnosing by Google isn't the best idea" - but said she'd ask the nurse. The nurse said it was unlikely as there was no tick on her. This is not how Lyme Disease works. I called my vet again in the morning and said I was concerned that Lyme would be dismissed because of the absence of a tick, when the parasite often lies dormant. She said Lyme Disease is incredibly rare but they'd run the tests.

As it turns out, the Lyme test was negative. But. False negatives are very common, she is responding well to the treatment and the tests and scans she's had have ruled pretty much everything else out. The lameness has shifted to her front legs now - though not nearly as dramatic, her shoulders buckle when she's tired - which reinforces that it could well be Lyme Disease.

She's ok. She was very poorly but now she's almost back to normal - except she tires out incredibly easily, which is really frustrating her. She is ONLY happy when she's on a walk. Otherwise she's a thoroughly moody, miserable dog. But within 10 minutes on a gentle pavement walk, she's panting heavily and her shoulders are buckling. If your dog has had Lyme Disease - was this the path to recovery for you? How long before she can walk properly again? These cooler summer evenings are RIPE for a lovely yomp and both of us have itchy feet.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Its hard for you when your pets aren`t well.

We have a cat, i watch him growing old

DCH

This was my best friend in the world. We Christened him Dave and he lived to the grand old age of 18 years. Not a bad age for a miniature Persian. He used to f@rt, snore, smell and had a whole plethora of other unsavoury habits worst of all was climbing behind my head while I was asleep and drooling on it. God how I loved that cat. I wept every day for 6 months solid after we had to have him put to sleep. A large aggressive tumour in his lower abdomen took him from us.

If they have no bread let them eat Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee-Eck View Post
    I looked into Bravecto but decided against using it as it is a systemic insecticide which must be ingested by the dog and into its bloodstream. It kills the tick after it has bitten the dog and sucked in the blood. Firponil is an external insecticide and stays on the surface of the skin. Very little of it is absorbed by the animal. Fipronil has been on the market for some time now and long term use has produced very few adverse effects. Fluralaner which is the active ingredient of Bravecto has only been licensed for use since 2014 and the jury is still out on long term usage.

Whoaaaaaa this is a wake up call and a half. She had a Bravecto only yesterday which will cover her for 3 months. In 3 months time my vet gets the third degree. Both of the cats I used to have were treated with Frontline. I could never understand how putting such a small amount on the back of an animals neck would prevent it from being bitten on the leg or somewhere equally distant from the application zone. Your thinking however seems very well reasoned to me and I feel that in 3 months I may be changing treatments. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    Whoaaaaaa this is a wake up call and a half. She had a Bravecto only yesterday which will cover her for 3 months. In 3 months time my vet gets the third degree. Both of the cats I used to have were treated with Frontline. I could never understand how putting such a small amount on the back of an animals neck would prevent it from being bitten on the leg or somewhere equally distant from the application zone. Your thinking however seems very well reasoned to me and I feel that in 3 months I may be changing treatments. Thank you again
    Very sorry to hear about you wee springer safranfoer hope she's back to normal soon

I've been using bravecto on my talla for over a year and she just had a new dose on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    I keep up with Frontline, I check after moorland and woodland walks but sadly nothing is 100% effective - Merle is currently being treated for Lyme Disease. This post is both a cautionary tale and also a call out for anyone else whose dog has had it, as her recovery is slow and I am wondering what the future holds.

Her initial symptoms - high fever, insane drooling, whimpering in pain/fear, racing heart, inability/unwillingness to use her back legs. I called the emergency vet on a Saturday night, got her temperature down and took her in as an emergency on a Sunday morning, and she was admitted on the Monday morning due to dehydration and fever. They put her on a cooling drip, did some in-house blood work and sent loads of blood and joint samples out to more advanced testing facilities.

Cautionary tale - I recognised the symptoms and called the surgery on the Tuesday to ask whether they thought it could be Lyme Disease. My vet wasn't on shift. The receptionist was very impatient with me - "diagnosing by Google isn't the best idea" - but said she'd ask the nurse. The nurse said it was unlikely as there was no tick on her. This is not how Lyme Disease works. I called my vet again in the morning and said I was concerned that Lyme would be dismissed because of the absence of a tick, when the parasite often lies dormant. She said Lyme Disease is incredibly rare but they'd run the tests.

As it turns out, the Lyme test was negative. But. False negatives are very common, she is responding well to the treatment and the tests and scans she's had have ruled pretty much everything else out. The lameness has shifted to her front legs now - though not nearly as dramatic, her shoulders buckle when she's tired - which reinforces that it could well be Lyme Disease.

She's ok. She was very poorly but now she's almost back to normal - except she tires out incredibly easily, which is really frustrating her. She is ONLY happy when she's on a walk. Otherwise she's a thoroughly moody, miserable dog. But within 10 minutes on a gentle pavement walk, she's panting heavily and her shoulders are buckling. If your dog has had Lyme Disease - was this the path to recovery for you? How long before she can walk properly again? These cooler summer evenings are RIPE for a lovely yomp and both of us have itchy feet.
    hope all goes well for you. where I shoot is crawling with ticks and my boys are covered in them when we finish each day-I use front line spot on and it does kill ticks that bite onto tthe dogs skin-combing seems to be the best option to get rid of them. I had a work colleague who developed Lymes recently and she had no recollection of being bitten. fingers crossed for you

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about you wee springer safranfoer hope she's back to normal soon

I've been using bravecto on my talla for over a year and she just had a new dose on Friday

Hey Arnold, you ain't posted a piccy of her in ages. She must be due an impromptu photo shoot. Come on, you know it makes sense. As I remember she don't look the shy type

Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    Hey Arnold, you ain't posted a piccy of her in ages. She must be due an impromptu photo shoot. Come on, you know it makes sense. As I remember she don't look the shy type
    DSC_0324.JPG

She absolutely loves her wee pool in the garden
    _20180709_195833.JPG

Aye, nothing shy about that young lady. Loving the pool too. Any salmon in it? I'm starting to forget what they look like.

My doggie and I on this week's jolly at Costa Del Lower Kinnaird where while fishing at 9.00am this evening the air temperature was still at 26 degrees C. It is stupidly hot here this week but my party and dog are a whale of a time.

Default Deer

IM sure that Deer carry Lymes? i should be riddled in it lol never ever knew dogs could catch it though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast