Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    The hunting of any warm blooded animal with dogs is one of the most sickening things I have ever seen. It is right to be banned.
    As for it being the most efficient method of killing foxes, that is total nonsense. The most efficient way of killing foxes is with a centre fire rifle used with either a lamp or thermal imaging.
    Last year two guys in Devon killed over 200 foxes this way totally humanely.
    I spoke to one huntsman back when hunting with foxhounds was allowed and he was delighted that the pack had killed 16 foxes that season. I am not out lamping all that often but I had killed more than that myself.
    The one thing I would agree on is banning foxhunting which was famously described as "the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable".
    P.S. Just checked my facts. It was actually 1000 foxes in three years.
    Does your opinion against hunting with dogs cover a guy with his lurchers out for some rabbits ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Crocodile View Post
    Does your opinion against hunting with dogs cover a guy with his lurchers out for some rabbits ?
    Good question, up to a point it does but I do not mind that so much.
    What I would say is that it is not a very efficient method of rabbit control compared to shooting either with rifle or shotgun but I know it gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure so everyone to their own.
    The reason for my answer is that I would find it hard to equate the feelings of a rabbit to that of a hunted fox or deer and also a fox or deer hunt with dogs would probably go on a lot longer than a lurcher grabbing a rabbit.

I'm pretty much the same as you then . I think the toffs hunting the foxes on horses with hounds is maybe a bit too much nowadays but hunting deer with deerhounds or lurchers and certainly rabbits with lurchers is good sport in my opinion .

Perhaps we should bring back more Otter Hounds to try and curbs these seals ? This would boost the number of heavily depleted otter hound populations and help the same at the same time . There are far too many seals about anyway .

See just on that ...........Why do we not as a nation eat seals ? Surely there must be good nutrional value in them ? Does the Noggies and Eskimos no eat them ? Must be good for something surely ?

Trustworthy tories, aye as far as you can chuck em.

See just on that ...........Why do we not as a nation eat seals ? Surely there must be good nutrional value in them ? Does the Noggies and Eskimos no eat them ? Must be good for something surely ?
    Seals have a great many uses. Their oil, skins and meat were used for centuries. The biggest problem is their eyes, they look big and cute so everyone wants to cuddle them and save them. Close up they are pretty nasty when riled; I've been attacked myself, not without justification I should add, and they are a scary big animal. Close up you tend to notice the teeth more than the eyes!

We should start killing more of them with clubs and eating them . We seem to be able to have no qualms about killing daisy the cow with bolt guns or zapping peppa pigs so why not cuddly seals ?
    The world sure is messed up .

We should start killing more of them with clubs and eating them . We seem to be able to have no qualms about killing daisy the cow with bolt guns or zapping peppa pigs so why not cuddly seals ?
    The world sure is messed up .
    I don't know whether the Inuit still use a club or something similar but you would need to be very skilled with one faced with a full grown animal. When we had netsmen they used to use large calibre rifles and then you needed to be a decent shot.

I take your point though. Put differently, why are people happy to eat venison (not the farmed stuff, meat from wild animals) but not seal?

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I don't know whether the Inuit still use a club or something similar but you would need to be very skilled with one faced with a full grown animal. When we had netsmen they used to use large calibre rifles and then you needed to be a decent shot.

I take your point though. Put differently, why are people happy to eat venison (not the farmed stuff, meat from wild animals) but not seal?
    I think most people would be very surprised and how big an adult bull Grey seal is; up to 10 feet long and well over 50 stone in weight. They have teeth that would not look out of place on a lion. Clubbing was used on baby fur seals for their skins but rifles are best for the adults, I'm told.

I think the only people who eat them are the ones with **** all else to eat, I wouldn't fancy it, rather have some chops.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast