Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

Thread: Hunting Party

Default Hunting Party

Sunday morning shoot cassino Italia

15380361_1879201102292898_6240149510715713845_n.jpg
    "Don't hate the black, don't hate the white,if you get bitten just hate the bite"

What was their intended quarry ?

Songbirds I would imagine

Default quarry

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmy View Post
    Songbirds I would imagine
    well the foto is in Italy (cassino) no idea what year,a family foto,maybe 1900s? quarry would have been-song birds,swan,doves,water fowl,deer and boars - i would imagine.Song birds have always been on the menu in europe,i have somewhere a book with some olde english recipees for rooks and crows and starlings (stinkers) all good eaters.
    "Don't hate the black, don't hate the white,if you get bitten just hate the bite"

Not heard the term stinkers applied to starlings since I was a boy in the northeast.
    There were a lot more about in those days

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmy View Post
    Not heard the term stinkers applied to starlings since I was a boy in the northeast.
    There were a lot more about in those days
    I believe the SCS thinks they've also been Lost at Sea...
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

I would be surprised if they were not hunting boar the dog looks like a cane corso. One of the last coursing mastiffs and working catch dogs used tp hold the boar they are still bred for this purpose today.
    Last edited by rotenone; 06-12-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sharkey View Post
    What was their intended quarry ?
    Quite possibly each other!

Default Quarry

Not sure of whats popular back in Italia esp around cassino area,but boars are very abundant,so too are deer,wolf and bears as well as all the usual suspects like song birds,and small game birds ie partridge,etc....its a shame really cos we here in the uk have no more natural boars left and bears were wiped out in the 12th centuary,beavers were extinct by the 1500s.

Now we all hear horror stories about our euro neighbours eating blackbirds and raw sparrow with traditional polenta dishes,and ye know whats this is very true,but every thing in Italian nature is still there,UNLIKE THE UK where upon we have had to rely on the enemy "activists" to illegally realase boar!

Some of the song birds we have here in the uk are great to eat,try them instead of shooting them and leaving them.