Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  98
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Alf

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    A straight forward retrieve really but a bit of a challenge for a young dog.
    Down a ghyll,across a stream and up the other side thorough a bit of cover. Obviously he'd lost his mark on that as you would expect but he worked it out for himself and brought the dummy back to hand.
    Training session tomorrow over in North Lincs..Onwards and upwards!!
    Hi Simon Alf lookin good keep the updates coming look forward to following progress
    BORN TO FISH FORCED TO WORK

Default 9.5!!

9.5 points for the dive but I thought it might be worthwhile just pointing out the dangers of a dog entering the water in such a bold fashion.
    Alf is a confident bold dog but he also has a sensitive side and because of that he's a very honest dog. He loves retrieving and you might say yes,of course he does,he's a Labrador Retriever but that's not always the case. Some take to it better than others but with Alf I've been lucky.
    The clip below shows Alf being steady to a thrown dummy. Its probably 35 yards out over a slow flowing river so it's not going to raise any issues for him. The only issue is what the end result could be after entering the water like that.
    I knew there was a clear 6' of water beneath him but imagine if I didn't know and I sent him out for the exact same retrieve sending him from 10 yards up the bank into a dirty river. Who knows what could be 6" under the surface. A tree stump,a log with sharp branches,a dumped bit of metal work. The end result could be a tragic end to a lot of very hard work and more importantly the end of a young dogs life.
    If unsure of what is beneath the surface either don't send your dog at all or send him from the very edge of the water so his enthusiasm for crashing in is reduced.
    Yes,it looks great seeing your dog leap out and crash into the river after that Pheasant or duck but the safety and wellbeing of your dog is more important than any fancy retrieve.

"What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 191115 March 1994)

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    9.5 points for the dive but I thought it might be worthwhile just pointing out the dangers of a dog entering the water in such a bold fashion.
    Alf is a confident bold dog but he also has a sensitive side and because of that he's a very honest dog. He loves retrieving and you might say yes,of course he does,he's a Labrador Retriever but that's not always the case. Some take to it better than others but with Alf I've been lucky.
    The clip below shows Alf being steady to a thrown dummy. Its probably 35 yards out over a slow flowing river so it's not going to raise any issues for him. The only issue is what the end result could be after entering the water like that.
    I knew there was a clear 6' of water beneath him but imagine if I didn't know and I sent him out for the exact same retrieve sending him from 10 yards up the bank into a dirty river. Who knows what could be 6" under the surface. A tree stump,a log with sharp branches,a dumped bit of metal work. The end result could be a tragic end to a lot of very hard work and more importantly the end of a young dogs life.
    If unsure of what is beneath the surface either don't send your dog at all or send him from the very edge of the water so his enthusiasm for crashing in is reduced.
    Yes,it looks great seeing your dog leap out and crash into the river after that Pheasant or duck but the safety and wellbeing of your dog is more important than any fancy retrieve.

Very true the dogs wellbeing always comes first
    BORN TO FISH FORCED TO WORK

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345