Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  40
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Run out of JC again ?😁
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Cracking jockiescott but will you please calm down with the fly's my copy list is massive at the moment
    ...and TOTM is coming up. You don't want to peak to early

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Inspired by FaughanPurple's stunning tubes from the weekend, I had a go at something tonight using the good old Willie Gunn colours.

Attachment 42072
    That's a real beauty. I've never bothered to buy coloured tubing before just using clear silicon for the hook retainer but that really has me seeing the benefit. If my wife complains at me getting more stuff I'll blame you!

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Run out of JC again ?😁

No not this time B!

I was going to add some to this but didn't bother in the end. Maybe I'll add some in my next attempt.

Thanks again for the comments and feedback everyone.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by iainmortimer View Post
    That's a real beauty. I've never bothered to buy coloured tubing before just using clear silicon for the hook retainer but that really has me seeing the benefit. If my wife complains at me getting more stuff I'll blame you!
    It's really not my fault Mrs. Mortimer!!!

Thanks Iain!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

A well tied version of the GBWG, I like the strong profile with the top black wing dominating the mixed colours below. I think the black wing on this pattern is supposed to shroud the under wing particularly when tied all round the tube, whereas I mainly mix them altogether and hope for the best. Will give this one a try.
    Last edited by Bothy Cat; 29-01-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
    The more you fear the more fear finds you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothy Cat View Post
    A well tied version of the GBWG, I like the strong profile with the top black wing dominating the mixed colours below. I think the black wing on this pattern is supposed to shroud the under wing particularly when tied all round the tube, whereas I mainly mix them altogether and hope for the best. Will give this one a try.
    Thanks BC!

I did read up a bit on the origin of the original WG. As far as I am aware, it was indeed tied with bunches of black over mixed yellow and orange, above and below a Waddington shank. This was soon followed by the three colours mixed around the shank. As far as I remember, one version was preferred for spring and the other for autumn but I can't remember which was which.

I really didn't tie this trying to mimic the original. When I had the mixed wing tied on, I didn't think there was enough black in it so tried a layer of black bucktail over to see how it looked. It was a bit of an accident!
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 29-01-2020 at 05:09 PM.

When I tie my willie gunns on tubes and wadds I mix then tie on the yellow and orange bucktail then add the black over, I've always preferred doing it that way to mixing it all together

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    When I tie my willie gunns on tubes and wadds I mix then tie on the yellow and orange bucktail then add the black over, I've always preferred doing it that way to mixing it all together
    I think I've only did that once before on a Waddington. Any others were tied with the three colours mixed and I never tied one I was completely happy with. I must try another again as you describe.

Thanks sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post

No not this time B!

I was going to add some to this but didn't bother in the end. Maybe I'll add some in my next attempt.

Thanks again for the comments and feedback everyone.
    Donít spoil it, itís spot on as it is
    Elibank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast