Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  73
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

For what its worth slaneybs, here's how I generally tie using the profile/method of the flamethrower.

They are certainly not as nice as Duncan Egan's by a long way and do differ from the original as I don't always use a pearl head etc but
    I suppose imitation is a sincere form of flattery (...if a lowest level of imagination )

I try not to leave the front hackle too long and mostly rib the front half body but with this variant, I only used a beard hackle.

I do think they suit a double better than a single though.

Patriot
    imag5093_1-jpg

Omiting the JC on this variant
    Code P
    imag4420_1-jpg

Using currys red colour scheme for this one and JC cloaked with front hackle

Patriot
    photoeditor_20190905_181709046_1-jpg

I also tend to tie close to the eye, it's a bad habit but I don't use a turle knot...

I appreciate they are not as nice as the originals , certainly less dense, but that's the beauty of tying, you can adjust or alter the style to suit what you like. (Unless you want to tie the exact pattern of course), anyway, just my amateur take on things but hope it helps a bit.

Cheers

Edit: I always thought the original incorporated a fritz material on the front half but maybe not.
    Last edited by Clydebuilt; 15-01-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clydebuilt View Post
    For what its worth slaneybs, here's how I generally tie using the profile/method of the flamethrower.
    Thanks Clydebuilt
    I really like the Thunder & Lightening version (the first one) but would very happily fish with any of them. You have definitely got the shape closer to the only original I have seen.
    I agree they look better on doubles but having got used to our old single barbless hook rule ( although since last season they also allow barbless doubles) I find doubles hard to tie on and keep spiking my fingers.
    The SBS I referenced in the original post, which I think was by Duncan Egan himself, definitely used black floss rather than fritz.
    The heads on the flies in the photo are I would have thought perfectly placed - I sometimes find I am half covering the actual eye with the tying silk.

Lots of good advice already so I will just stick to the hook.
    Having tied on those Patriots I found the surface very slippy and difficult to stop the thread creeping around both tying in to start and when making the head. I found that lots of good wax helped things a lot. I always use wax on all flies but plastered it on for these hooks.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

I am a great fan of Flamethrowers.I have caught a lot of fish with them.I will try to post some from Duncan.if I get a chance.

I've never had one of Duncans original fly's in my hand and have only seen a few Pic's of them but I quite like tying in the flamethrower style and would probably say that the one's that I have tyed would be most definitely variants

I also like the tinsel head but wether it actually makes a difference? Well you'll have to ask the fish that one
    I've also never had a problem with tying the the tinsel head or it's durability , my method is to tie in the tinsel do half a wrap and smear a small amount of super glue onto the tinsel and continue to wrap around the head then add two or three coats of varnish
    I sometimes also put a rib on the front section

A few Pic's of some that I've posted previously

Willie Gunn
    dsc_0004-jpg

Kinermoney Tigertail
    dsc_0003-jpg

Red And Yellow
    dsc_0133-jpg

Yellow And Orange
    dsc_0050-jpg

Orange And Yellow
    _20180322_211059-jpg

Executioner
    _20180322_173111-jpg

Spring One's (copied Easky's)
    _20180218_180629-jpg

Tigertail Waddintons
    _20190110_151157-jpg

Very nicely tied.

Fantastic post LV10!!!

That wee Executioner will be replicated quite a few times for my boxes along with a few others!!!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Jeeso Lamson, they are all beautifully tied... but as Jockie points out.....that Executioner....ooft...

Defo one for the copy book!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post

A few Pic's of some that I've posted previously
    Many thanks for these - they are all winners to be sure. Also very much true to what I understand to be the "proper" shape.
    Putting them together like that gives plenty of encouragement to try a few more. In particular the spring yellow and black could be a real killer especially with a little more black in the wing. Great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Fantastic post LV10!!!

That wee Executioner will be replicated quite a few times for my boxes along with a few others!!!
    Thank's jockiescott the Executioner has had a few fish for the people I passed a few on to which is always good to hear if you can remember the park shrimp one I posted a few years back it's done not to badly either

Arnold

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast