Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Monday Night

Default Monday Night

For tonights fly tying class I came up with this one.

andrzej-jpg

Thread Flo Orange
    Tag Oval Gold
    Rib - Gold Wire
    Rear Body - Gold Mirage Tinsel
    Front Body - Orange Spectra Flash
    Body Hackle - Orange cock (over front body)
    Wing Orange Arctic Fox, Pearl Krystal Flash, Yellow Arctic Fox
    Hackle - Yellow cock, Kingfisher Blue Cock
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Lovin the colours in this one!

I would use that any night.

I have a question to ask if I may over this pattern.
    I fish something very very similar in the St. Clements, it's usually in tube form with Bucktail and works very very well.
    My question is this, how do you get the Arctic Fox wing to look so hair like? as well as neat n tidy?
    When I try Arctic Fox in winging materials it gos's like a shapeless blob after tying and worse in water.
    Pretty sure its all down to the material I'm using in that its so fine, but any wings I do are usually pretty well a joke.
    Sorry to detract from such a tasty looking flee, very very envious!
    Pedro.

Thanks for the comments lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I have a question to ask if I may over this pattern.
    I fish something very very similar in the St. Clements, it's usually in tube form with Bucktail and works very very well.
    My question is this, how do you get the Arctic Fox wing to look so hair like? as well as neat n tidy?
    When I try Arctic Fox in winging materials it gos's like a shapeless blob after tying and worse in water.
    Pretty sure its all down to the material I'm using in that its so fine, but any wings I do are usually pretty well a joke.
    Sorry to detract from such a tasty looking flee, very very envious!
    Pedro.
    No problems Pedro.
    Are you using Fox Tail or Pelt? Pelt is very soft and fine whilst Tail hair is more robust.
    Also quality is key. The small rings you buy from Veniards and most other suppliers is quite often rubbish. I find Foxy Tails is good consistent quality.
    They have a good guide to hair if you haven't seen it A Guide to Fur & Hair Foxy-Tails.co.uk
    For the main colours I buy a whole tail and dye it myself as you then get a selection of lengths and type of hair to choose the type suitable for the style/size of fly you're tying.
    I use Shadow Fox for underwings with more of the underfur left in to give it bulk to support the top wing.
    I then use Marble Fox for the top wing with a larger amount of guard hairs left in.
    I hope this explains things.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Thanks for that Gary. Going to take a closer look at my materials now.Your advice is very much appreciated.
    Pedro.