Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default yuri claret and pink

i wasnt sure wether tying such a long body on a yuri tube was a good idea but only realised this after the tying

still whats the forums opiion on this. is this length of body o.k or should the wing be kept close to the flueted shape of yurri's design.

i finnished it off anyway as i quite liked the overall style.
    b.r speers.

Last year I tried something similar (wanting to add a tail to Shumakov style flies but ran into a problem during the Spring with cold water making the stiff liner brittle. Having the cone so far away from the body gave a leverage point and I had 6 flies snap right at the base of the LR Tube within the space of a couple of hours.

In warmer water it doesn't seem to happen.

I now have a new method which I have been playing with which looks very promising. It allows you to have any length of body when using a LR Tube.

I am at work at the moment but will get some pictures up later tonight.

Nice fly by the way.

very nice...Must get some of those tubes...tying at the minute on mostly loop bottles..

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    Last year I tried something similar (wanting to add a tail to Shumakov style flies but ran into a problem during the Spring with cold water making the stiff liner brittle. Having the cone so far away from the body gave a leverage point and I had 6 flies snap right at the base of the LR Tube within the space of a couple of hours.

In warmer water it doesn't seem to happen.

I now have a new method which I have been playing with which looks very promising. It allows you to have any length of body when using a LR Tube.

I am at work at the moment but will get some pictures up later tonight.

Nice fly by the way.
    thanks, very much for the quick reply, looking forward to seeing the pic's

why put conehead on it? i tie and fish mine without one

Quote Originally Posted by teiriboy View Post
    why put conehead on it? i tie and fish mine without one
    i dont always put one on,,, but as it has quiet a long body past the yuri tube, i.e plastic tube, i put a cone head on to balance it up, and give some turbulence to the wing materials.

Hi Speers, You tie a nice fly.
    I'm trying to understand why you are tying a body on the plastic liner of a Shumakov tube.
    Was not the tube itself intended to be the body without any dressing(only paint in the rings) and the liner to be used for the wing and hackles?
    Will the fly not fish very much tail down as all the weight is at the rear of the fly?
    If you need a tail could you not tie one in using one of the rings as a base?

Please do not think I am being critical of your fly, just trying to understand the reasoning behind this particular dressing.

Tf.

check here its yuri,s own tyings www.rackelhanen.se

believe me teirboy i think you are mostly correct on this and i tied this fly without thinking and then realised and finnished it off,

yurri's tubes i think are shaped this way to splay the wing hackle out via turbelnce , and as such should be kept close to the tube,

i posted this fly as an question to other forum members to see what they thought of the fly and this particular aspect of it, i did counter balance the weight with a cone so you never no,

if it doesnt swim it will get stripped,, eur errr

Quote Originally Posted by speers View Post
    believe me teirboy i think you are mostly correct on this and i tied this fly without thinking and then realised and finnished it off,

yurri's tubes i think are shaped this way to splay the wing hackle out via turbelnce , and as such should be kept close to the tube,

i posted this fly as an question to other forum members to see what they thought of the fly and this particular aspect of it, i did counter balance the weight with a cone so you never no,

if it doesnt swim it will get stripped,, eur errr
    you never know speers, its all trial and error, and half the fun. crackin flees and nicely tied