Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eating grayling

Default eating grayling

hi, i may be heading out for the grayling soon, i have never killed a grayling or ate one, but i would like to try one, any of you ever killed and cooked one? are they similar tasting to trout?

scott.

TonyPrior Guest

Hi. They're eaten a lot in Arctic Finland. I'm told they taste lovely, but not like trout. Often hot-smoked, gutted but still in the round, over juniper twigs and a dash of sugar. Attitudes towards the killing of grayling may well be different here....

Default tried Grayling once

once as a "poor student" some years ago, my mate and I got a lovely grayling about a pound and a half, descalded, filleted and pin bones removed, lovely looking flesh, grilled with a few herbs, look fantastic after beans on toast for several weeks. It was disgusting, although the land ladies cats thought it was OK, so it was back to beans on toast for us as much better
    I would liken the taste of grayling to soil with a slimy texture and a hint of fishyness.
    Last edited by Riverman; 26-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.

I would liken the taste of grayling to soil with a slimy texture and a hint of fishyness.[/QUOTE]

sounds delightful, i will try one on the BBQ mabye, if i am able to catch that is, or mabye fried in garlic butter, with a covering of pepper or garlic and chillie, who knows.......

scott

maybe just a personal dislike on my part, although I do generally like fish, sure there will be some that love it, who's cullanary skills are far superior to my student/beans on toast methods There was one fish dish much worse that Grilled Grayling, once while on a Norwegian boat somewhere north of scotland, for breakfast I was given what I understood was raw pickled coalfish, not sure if this was a joke on the part of the crew or standard breakfast for them
    Last edited by Riverman; 26-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.

I cant personaly help with how they taste i no my mate used to eat them years ago.
    going by what he said and anybody else i have spoken to they dont rate them to highly.
    most seasons i get a few over the killing size but have never fancyed trying one so all mine go back

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post

sounds delightful, i will try one on the BBQ mabye, if i am able to catch that is, or mabye fried in garlic butter, with a covering of pepper or garlic and chillie, who knows.......

scott
    Expecting much BBQ weather through in Fife Scotty?
    Last edited by Strathglass; 26-11-2011 at 07:33 PM.

as a game fish . its not looking good for the grayling on the taste front ....
    some one must have a decent recipeit for the lady .....
    ive only killed one myself and will admit it didnt taste the best .
    com on guys lets give the old girl a proper taste ................

Quote Originally Posted by love 2 fish View Post
    as a game fish . its not looking good for the grayling on the taste front ....
    some one must have a decent recipeit for the lady .....
    ive only killed one myself and will admit it didnt taste the best .
    com on guys lets give the old girl a proper taste ................
    Might want to contact Hugh Fernley-Whitingstall. He suggests in his book "The river cottage cook book" that the best grayling he ever ate was one fried in the grease left over from the breakfast fry and scattered with wild garlic leaves. And that fair praise from a gastronomic, conservationist.

I've eaten a fair few grayling over the years. I don't find them dis-simillar to trout. Not quite as strong but a bit more bonny. The secret is to eat them very fresh, they don't keep well.

I had a lot of requests for grayling from some of my neighbours when they featured on "river cottage" a few years back. I never supplied any though, didn't want to chap all my resident fish.

Here's a recipe from the series:-

Hot smoked grayling with sorrel sauce recipe - Channel4 - 4Food

Norm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast