Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Default Grayling fishing 2019

Out for the first grayling trip of 2019 to a Wirral Game water on the River Dee above Corwen.

Lovely day, low sun and reasonable temperatures (until we got down to the river). Reality bit after around 5 minutes in the water and hands got colder and number!

Using my Dave Harrell 14ft rod with a JW Young Purist II centrepin for the first time. The reel was a delight to use and the rod was light with a very responsive tip.

After a few fruitless trots the float was held back momentarily then went under at around 60yards distance. A gentle lift and a lively lady was played back to the waiting net.

It shed the micro-barbed hook back through its gills and into the net where it promptly snagged! So cut the hook off and tended to the grayling and took a photo then returned it safely to the water.

By now my hands were too numb to get the hook out of the net, or tie another on, so I put some gloves on and moved down to the next pool where I managed to get another hook tied on and caught a similar sized grayling at around 30 yards range. This time I managed to snap the 2lb hooklength in the net and so decided to withdraw from the fray, have a butty and watch my mate fishing.

Lovely day, great fishing, lousy temperatures very tiring 60 mile drive home and Iím seriously beginning to wonder whether I am, in fact, getting too old for this sh**!
    Attached Images Attached Images 9f229ec5-bdb1-4e92-ab58-39dbc8de6cc4-jpeg 4d1b232c-003b-4778-95b0-846823057012-jpeg d2dd91a8-f6fc-45d3-87bc-5e3d6788f1d2-jpeg 
    Last edited by John Keane; 10-01-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Never to old John nice wee grayling

Reflo powerline is your friend. Superfine hook length, nylon, plenty of stretch, wonderful stuff.
    0.13mm =. 4lb 12oz bs.
    Barbel to double figures, no problem.
    Grayling, piece of cake. 14's 16's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Isisalar View Post
    Reflo powerline is your friend. Superfine hook length, nylon, plenty of stretch, wonderful stuff.
    0.13mm =. 4lb 12oz bs.
    Barbel to double figures, no problem.
    Grayling, piece of cake. 14's 16's perfect.
    Used Preston Reflo Powerline for all the pole rigs I used to tie. I now like Guru N-Gauge as itís comparable in diameter, stretch, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Out for the first grayling trip of 2019 to a Wirral Game water on the River Dee above Corwen.

Lovely day, low sun and reasonable temperatures (until we got down to the river). Reality bit after around 5 minutes in the water and hands got colder and number!

Using my Dave Harrell 14ft rod with a JW Young Purist II centrepin for the first time. The reel was a delight to use and the rod was light with a very responsive tip.

After a few fruitless trots the float was held back momentarily then went under at around 60yards distance. A gentle lift and a lively lady was played back to the waiting net.

It shed the micro-barbed hook back through its gills and into the net where it promptly snagged! So cut the hook off and tended to the grayling and took a photo then returned it safely to the water.

By now my hands were too numb to get the hook out of the net, or tie another on, so I put some gloves on and moved down to the next pool where I managed to get another hook tied on and caught a similar sized grayling at around 30 yards range. This time I managed to snap the 2lb hooklength in the net and so decided to withdraw from the fray, have a butty and watch my mate fishing.

Lovely day, great fishing, lousy temperatures very tiring drive home and Iím seriously beginning to wonder whether I am, in fact, getting too old for this sh**!
    great stuff, I was out on Sunday and managed a couple small ones with my m8, I use the same float as yourself but wondered how you shot it? I was having a bit of a mare with tangles at one point
    (Mergus merganser) the end of life as we know it......

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    great stuff, I was out on Sunday and managed a couple small ones with my m8, I use the same float as yourself but wondered how you shot it? I was having a bit of a mare with tangles at one point
    Thatís a Drennan Glo-tip Loafer 3.6g. I use a 3g in-line olivette (kinder to the line than a load of shot) secured above and below by a No1 shot. I started getting terrible tangles where the hooklength was twisted up the line. I eventually worked out that the worm was spinning on the retrieve, like a little propellor and the fine hooklength was just getting twisted up tightly. With freezing cold fingers being a common occurrence in grayling fishing, I am thinking of making up trotting rigs on pole winders and just looping them to my mainline before fishing. The addition of a micro-swivel above the hooklength should stop the twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Thatís a Drennan Glo-tip Loafer 3.6g. I use a 3g in-line olivette (kinder to the line than a load of shot) secured above and below by a No1 shot. I started getting terrible tangles where the hooklength was twisted up the line. I eventually worked out that the worm was spinning on the retrieve, like a little propellor and the fine hooklength was just getting twisted up tightly. With freezing cold fingers being a common occurrence in grayling fishing, I am thinking of making up trotting rigs on pole winders and just looping them to my mainline before fishing. The addition of a micro-swivel above the hooklength should stop the twisting.
    the pole winder idea is good , as to the float do you position the weight right next to the float, do you have any shot near the hook?
    (Mergus merganser) the end of life as we know it......

the pole winder idea is good , as to the float do you position the weight right next to the float, do you have any shot near the hook?
    I use these floats a lot when grayling fishing.
    I usually have the hook, then 6-8 inch, small shot. Another 12-15 inch then a micro swivel with the shot to weight the float directly above it. The float then slides above this to suit the depth of water.
    As long as the gaps between parts of ur set-up get gradually bigger - hook to 1st shot to swivel and group of shot and then on to the float. U shouldn't get many tangles setting up like this.
    Not sure how much sense that will make without being able to see what I'm meaning.
    Last edited by Sknox88; 10-01-2019 at 01:15 AM.

If fishing a lignum stick or a domed stick float, I think stringing the shot out shirt button style is the best pattern. Using loafers or balsas I like to have the bulk of shot down the line. I just set my float to whatever I think the optimum depth is and then position the bulk 2/3 down the line, not too near to the hook. Gets the bait down well and is good for holding back so the bait doesnít rise too high in the water.