Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gye Net Gggrrrr

Default Gye Net Gggrrrr

I don't have may pet hates but I hates "well drunken women" and carrying a Gye net on my back !
    I've never been a good tailer I've lost too many fish.
    After tackling up with my friends or whoever they know ole caster is reaching for the double sided coin on who carry's first 😀
    Few weeks back my girlfriend came along and wanted to sit and read her book and generally annoy me I was going to give her the cold shoulder when I remembered the net, surely she'd enjoy the fishing experience more if she was involved !!
    After 20 minutes of her asking stupid questions I carried my own net while she done the wine in!!! Double whammy !!
    If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that **** !

sounds like a smart lady!

I've had my share of tantrums over the years carry them up & down while fishing, they seem to latch onto everything you pass, fences, branches & I find the clip on the peel sling, a pig to undo when I'm ready for landing a fish. I have to admit I would not go to the river without one though, because I'd end up hooking a very big fish, somewhere you can't possibly land without a net, so IMO it's always best to carry a net.

Could never get my Gye net perfect on my back. I got so fed up of the strap on the Gye net after a couple of casts the net would always end up somewhere where it shouldn't be 9 out of 10 times the net would be left on the bank. I was out in my parents house one day and they were dumping an old exercise stepper with a pair of lovely bungee cords so took off my strap and replaced it with the elastic bungee cords. I just gather all the lose net and feed it through centre bar, no hanging net, it slides easily out for landing a fish, I never looked back since. Now and then the net might get caught in a briar.
    This works for me.

The problem with most salmon anglers they don't know how to mount a salmon net on there backs, and toooooooo idle to carry one !!! first and formost a Gye net is to heavy and clumsy, the mesh net itself is to deep , it can trip some anglers up if they aren't tall enough, they should be made shallower but enough to hold 30lb salmon securely after netting . Why they have a 2"+ ring mounted on the frame beats me ? I wouldn't have a Gye net given ! I have a 28" landing net strapped to my back when salmon fishing at all times , I'm so used to it and it is so light and strong i wouldn't know it was there , but it the most important bit of kit needed when fishing when a fish is hooked.
    All this ranting about C & R, then all anglers should carry a net, made compulsary, as the fish can be landed much quicker especially on a riverbank that is 1ft above the level of the river, plus the fact it can be unhooked safely .
    Last edited by David Bell; 09-10-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Re Gye Nets I raised a point on the forum a few years, I struggle to get a fish in my gye net when using a 15ft rod - the angles just don't allow it.
    " There's more to fishing than catching fish."

What's the problem with Gye nets?

I have a Sharpes 30" net from years ago with the braided sling and poppers. Wrap the bottom of the net round the extending shaft, snap on the popper so that it is comfy and easy to get at with handle uppermost. When you want to net a fish, snap open the popper, the net falls loose, foot on frame to extend. Bob's yer Uncle the net is to hand

Paul

Red face

[QUOTE=Paul White;720896]What's the problem with Gye nets?

I have a Sharpes 30" net from years ago with the braided sling and poppers. Wrap the bottom of the net round the extending shaft, snap on the popper so that it is comfy and easy to get at with handle uppermost. When you want to net a fish, snap open the popper, the net falls loose, foot on frame to extend. Bob's yer Uncle the net is to hand

Paul

Thanks Paul
    Silly me for putting it under my waders in my boxer shorts

MADCASTER
    If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that **** !

These are a couple of pics I've taken of my Sharpes Gye net and the way I fasten my net to stop the net dangling about when its been carried, I have never had a problem doing it this way when I am out fishing

[/URL]

[/URL]
    Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

That's exactly it, but mine's got a nylon sling and poppers

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast