Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Depth - top to bottom or bottom to top ?

Quick question, if you have the time to fish a good pool thoroughly do you start in the upper layers of the water and work your way down in depth by changing your fly or polyleader or angle of cast or do you start in the lower layers and work your way back up towards the surface.

I have always worked from the top and then bit by bit tried to go down through the layers but I have often wondered if the opposite might be better

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb View Post
    Quick question, if you have the time to fish a good pool thoroughly do you start in the upper layers of the water and work your way down in depth by changing your fly or polyleader or angle of cast or do you start in the lower layers and work your way back up towards the surface.

I have always worked from the top and then bit by bit tried to go down through the layers but I have often wondered if the opposite might be better
    Depends on time of year fishing in winter start deep then come up in summer start on top and go down.
    In winter with snow on the ground I would not start with a full floater

If you start from the bottom, by altering your angle of cast and adding a retrieve from slow to fast you will cover most of the water without any changes at all, simples!!!
    peter