Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default A discussion on nets

I would like to discuss with the members the issues surrounding netting a fish rod in hand.

I was wondering is there a gap in the market for a better collapsable net for salmon fishing,i know the sharpes nets are very good as are the gye nets made by mcleans,fastnets i think are probably the best with the quick release sling.the mcleans salmon nets are great quality but i feel they are more suited to someone netting a fish,not netting whilst playing/landing.

Most of the time there is someone who is able to net a fish for you,but,its the moment when you hook a nice fish,your on your own and you have to do it all yourself,which isnt easy,we all know.

I know most of us have often forgot the net when a decent fish is hooked and your swearing under your breath,"wish i had of brought that fecken net".

Thoughts and opinions on nets and what net you use and why.merry christmas ladies and gents.
    Last edited by coppertoby; 24-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.

The size of fish you catch you'll only need a minty net fae the merrick or bill bristas !!

Personally I've started using the handle/net combo I used when carp fishing more and more often. The net I use is a wide soft mesh meant for running water and fish safety. The net served me fine with pike to 23lb so a salmon should be fine. If I hook one any longer I'll gladly jump in and hug her!
    The handle is a 2 piece handle thats made of carbon fibre, weighs virtually nothing and isn't really any more bother to take when I benefit from the added reach it provides. (3m long). You can buy net floats from most shops catering for carp anglers that also stop the handle-net joint sinking and makes dragging a fish over the sunk net alone much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    The size of fish you catch you'll only need a minty net fae the merrick or bill bristas !!
    Stop showin yer self up mark,there are some normal people on here you know,we dont all live in the hills wae the yeti,s,bill bristows and the merrick cafe are unknown to many clean living human beings on this forum,so,climb out your cave and talk sense man ***.,is there a net big enough to net your salmon marc?awe the best to you,the missus and the bairns pal.
    Last edited by coppertoby; 24-12-2013 at 09:25 PM.

I have used a 24" guy net with a leather peal sling with Velcro attachment it has served me very well with fish up to 20lbs neted on my own can be annoying snagging on bushes but it's worth when you actually hook a fish lol on my third replacement net for it so it's served well also carry a small digital luggage scale just hook it onto net and weigh and really most of the time that's the only time the fish leaves the water !

I use a Sharpes gye net. Works for me and I usually have to net my own fish. It has quite a long handle, which is an advantage when netting a fish on your own.

26" Fastnet Gye Net - Never let me down yet
    Touch Wood

I use a McLean weight net. Not the biggest one but the next one down. But I also have the snowbee gye net which I used to use but is now a spare! Both good quality landing nets!
    Interesting to know?does anyone on here still use a gaff? or does anyone even still have an old one collecting dust! I've still got an old brass extendable one which is in the garage under 2 inches of dust

Default Gaffs

I,ve got loads of gaffs noodles,i,ll post a few pics so e time,some hand made,some even older,some long some shorter,a few with the screw-in shanks,my uncle worked in a foundry and made them to suit for my auld man.all the best to ye up there pal hope the weathers kind to your area tonight,good man.
    Last edited by coppertoby; 24-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coppertoby View Post
    I,ve got loads of gaffs noodles,i,ll post a few pics so e time,some hand made,some even older,some long some shorter,a few with the screw-in shanks.all the best to ye up there pal hope the weathers kind to your area tonight,good man.
    It's a ffffin hurricane up here! Nearly lost the car door earlier

Gaffs are a thing of the past now. Not many people using them anymore.
    I never liked using them to be honest! But to see it getting used in the old days by someone who knew how to use it was brilliant to watch! A skill that is nearly all but gone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast