Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How deep do you think you are fishing

How deep do you think you are fishing ,great article by Kevin Patterson the tweedswod gillie on the tweed on the depth your fly sinks with various tips gauged from a boat
    Check it out at Salmon and Sea Trout Fly Fishing on the river Tweed - Melrose - Tweedswood Fishing and blog article Sunday 10 th november 2013
    Very interesting
    O.r.s
    the lovely south tyne

Somebody should show him where the comma and full stop keys are!

A difficult read, some of it was repeated.
    Something I was aware of. I think his results only relate to holding the fly on the dangle in the current, where the fly will rise up the water column. I certainly manage to hit the bottom and snag up with tips and a 1 inch tube in 5 or 6ft of water.

Blogs interesting though.

Default Tweedswood

Yeah his grammar is shocking but Kevin is a really decent guy
    O.r.s
    the lovely south tyne

Codyarrow's reply is interesting. Do you think in his blog he was referring to the fly on the dangle?

I don't like ANY weight in my flies or tubes (don't like the way they swim or especially the way they almost kill me when I cast), I also don't think a tip off a floater or inty will get my fly down...so I just go with an F/1/3 or an 1/3/5 head. I even have a 3/5/7...haven't used it yet!

There are so many variables that influence the depth you fish. One thing is for certain-the bottom doesn't lie. If you're snagging bottom, then you're plenty deep (or even too deep).

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Will View Post
    There are so many variables that influence the depth you fish. One thing is for certain-the bottom doesn't lie. If you're snagging bottom, then you're plenty deep (or even too deep).
    Completely agree, I used the guideline RTG short head shooting heads, I have all up to 6/7 but in the spring the 2/3 is my most commonly used at normal flows, I think some anglers are misled by the claims of multi-tip lines, just because you snag up on the dangle, doesn't mean that the fly is down at the start of the cast. The key element is the floating body of the line which means there's a floating pivot point, to which the tip `planes up` or more accurately resists the tip from sinking.

This planing resistance is overcome by a full sinks or fully sinking head ( floating running lines have nothing like the resistance as a floating head/body) I'm sure that T14 tips on a skagit work fine, but I'd rather use a shooting head, just personal preference.....but nothing beats a skagit in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red Shrimp View Post
    Yeah his grammar is shocking but Kevin is a really decent guy
    O.r.s
    Sorry Old Red Shrimp,

Just could not resist; Yeah his grammar!!

Derek

Come on guys, we shouldn't be picking up on his grammar on a public forum like this.
    Its obvious Kevin has a few issues and it may be outwith his control. Lets concentrate on the contents of his findings.
    He makes up for any issues with his undoubted ability in his casting prowess and Ghilling skills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast