Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Paxman on One Show

Anybody else see Packo having a ding dong one the One Show with their resident seal hugger?
    They had a piece about the burgeoning seal population on the Tees (with no mention of the devastation to the salmon below the barrage).
    Packo said they were just "rats". Hilarious.
    Apparently the storm surge could separate the grey pups from their mothers so it's not all bad news!

SP8
    Last edited by SP8; 05-12-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Brilliant stuff.Someone who tells it like it is to the poncey so called wildlife expert who prettys it all up them Paxman steams in with a barrage of reality bullets!!!!
    Great TV!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Typical BBC coverage!!

Why didn't the presenters ask him why he was against seals? Maybe then he would have explained that unless they are controlled then the salmon/Seatrout stocks will plummet further.

Trouble is, and it is our main problem, you can take a cute picture of a seal but you can't of a wild salmon. Besides which, ask the majority of our urbanised ill-informed public about dwindling stocks of wild salmon and they more than likely will say, "What shortage? There's loads of them in Tesco!"

I give up with the BBC

Paul

You have hit the nail on the head there. The message is just not getting through about the damage caused to wild stocks by fish farms in particular but netting and seals also. It's not just the general public either. I am constantly amazed how many anglers, including salmon anglers, are unaware of the problems of farming. Only today a friend who is both a countryman and occasional fisherman was speaking about the recent Countryfile programme and he seemed to think that the concerns about the damage being done were something new.

We need to get the message through a lot better than is happening now.

SP8

Yes, I agree, but we will always have the problem on what is shown on that box that sits in the corner of our living rooms.

The majority are obsessed by TV and believe anything they are shown! One minute you get cute pictures of badgers and foxes on sanatised programmes purporting to be about the "countryside", the next you get pictures of doe-eyed seals frollicking on sandbanks. People see this and don't think about the bigger picture.

Now, if we could get the BBC to show proper films about British wildlife in the raw, we'd be getting somewhere, but they won't do it because 90% of the population are brainwashed by "celebrities" endorsing the sanatised version!

Paul

most people couldn't give a f f about fish farms.
    and when you explain that you catch salmon en route to spawn most people are appalled.

you can be as indignant as you like but things won't change anytime soon.

Agree that seals are a problem, fish farms, nets, but what I never realy hear anyone mention is the increase of gooseander's, commrants.. Especially on my local river, they gonna have a field day with the Parr... It makes you ponder, I would think alot of people automatically think the problems out at sea, but is the problem right infront of us? Im only going off my local river, so can't comment on others, I walked a 2 mile stretch 2 weeks ago and counted 16 gooseander's

Quote Originally Posted by Wear Rod View Post
    Agree that seals are a problem, fish farms, nets, but what I never realy hear anyone mention is the increase of gooseander's, commrants.. Especially on my local river, they gonna have a field day with the Parr... It makes you ponder, I would think alot of people automatically think the problems out at sea, but is the problem right infront of us? Im only going off my local river, so can't comment on others, I walked a 2 mile stretch 2 weeks ago and counted 16 gooseander's
    Only 16? Lucky you!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Default Jeremy Paxman - The One Show

The One Show wildlife reporter Mike Dilger and his other TV equivalents..The Julia Bradburys,Ellie Harrisons,Matt Bakers and the Autumwatch 'Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen' look-a-like guy with long hair... Martin Hughes-Games that's his name are all basically clueless script readers.They may be qualified and have various 'ologys' but they have left that behind to persue a career in TV.
    Mike Dilger went out to explain the success story of the "Harbour/Common Seal" and bigged it up to be a River Tees Estuary success story.This he did to millions of One Show viewers last night who were quite prepared to sit back in their armchairs,take it all in and look at the pretty pictures of seals and their pups sliding about on the mud flats.
    How lovely!! But as JP picked up on he didn't explain what effect that success story has on the Salmon & Sea Trout populations of the River Tees and other river across the UK.Something which the general public would be and are completely unaware of.
    JP who incidently is a fly fisher likened it to "Celerating a plague of rats" and how true he was but that statement seemed to caome as a complete shock to Mike Dilger and the other two One Show presenters.Mike Dilger started to fight his corner but seemed completely unaware of the underlying issues.It just goes to show what a bunch of idiots these people are.And whats worse is that me and you are paying their inflated salaries!!
    These programmes like Countryfile,Autumn/Springwatch,The One Show etc are all programmes made for the masses who in actual fact no very little of countryside matters and issues and see these programmes as a way of giving them an insight as to whats going on out there. How little they know and even worse is how they are being taken in by these presenters who look at everything through their rose-coloured spectacles to produce a programme thats just full of fluffy bumf and bullshit!!
    Bring back the likes of Jack Hargreaves & Johnny Kingdom.No edge to these guys,just full of knowledge and information gained by getting out there and getting their hands and knees dirty.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Bring back the otter that bit that silly hippy terry nutkins finger off lol !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast