Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oracle scandi line recommendations.

Having just bought a 12ft 9in 8wt shakespeare oracle scandi, i was wondering if any one can advise me on suitable lines to match?. the weight for heads on the rod states 28-32g shooting heads.
    The only line close to this i have is an 8/9 rio outbound at 34g which im going to try when i get time.

Any info much appreciated.
    Thanks.

480gr rage head

34g will be a lot for this rod. I thought 32 grams was a very optimistic rating for it.
    I put 30g of zpey fusion compact on it and it went well. As patchh said around 480 grains would be right.

Look no further in my opinion.....get it in #8...check out this video...

Rio Scandi Short VersiTip Shooting Head - YouTube

Paul

Thanks for replies. I like the look of the scandi short versitip..
    I had been hoping id have got away with the outbound.to save money. looks like im going to have to save for a new rio line and maybe another skb reel.
    Last edited by Fly Boy; 13-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Having cast this rod I would say the Rage will fly off it and save you a lot of pennies compared to the Rio. If you have a look on the Open day thread near the end I think it says what line was on it when I cast it but I can't remember off hand. I'll have a look and see if I can link it for you. I actually think it would handle something a little heavier than the 480gr but can't say from personal experience.

SP8

Edit.
    Just seen AM's post so am guessing that's what I cast on it.
    Last edited by SP8; 13-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
    Thanks for replies. I like the look of the scandi short versitip..
    I had been hoping id have got away with the outbound.to save money. looks like im going to have to save for a new rio line and maybe another skb reel.
    I have a #9 Rio SSVT on a 7/10 SKB Overdrive reel and fits really well, so a #8 would be perfect.

There's a #7 for sale on classifieds with running line for 70...bargain of the year!!

Did you check out the link?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    I have a #9 Rio SSVT on a 7/10 SKB Overdrive reel and fits really well, so a #8 would be perfect.

There's a #7 for sale on classifieds with running line for 70...bargain of the year!!

Did you check out the link?

Paul
    Watched the link m8. that looks just the job.
    I seen the 7 weight in the classifieds but at 27g its not for me.
    if only it had been an 8

Rio AFS 7/8 - 30gm.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
    Having just bought a 12ft 9in 8wt shakespeare oracle scandi, i was wondering if any one can advise me on suitable lines to match?. the weight for heads on the rod states 28-32g shooting heads.
    The only line close to this i have is an 8/9 rio outbound at 34g which im going to try when i get time.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Im sure your Rio line will be fine, I found the 34g Vision Ace suited the rod really well.

Take no notice of Michael from AM Angling, he is as wide as I am tall and built like a brick ****house! Im sure he could overload a rod by just looking at it!

I reviewed this rod a couple of weeks ago and will write it up soon, well worth the money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast