Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    cumnock ayrshire
    Posts
    500

    Default Oracle scandi line recommendations.

    Having just bought a 12ft 9in 8wt shakespeare oracle scandi, i was wondering if any one can advise me on suitable lines to match?. the weight for heads on the rod states 28-32g shooting heads.
    The only line close to this i have is an 8/9 rio outbound at 34g which im going to try when i get time.

    Any info much appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    480gr rage head

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newtownards, Co. Down
    Posts
    481

    Default

    34g will be a lot for this rod. I thought 32 grams was a very optimistic rating for it.
    I put 30g of zpey fusion compact on it and it went well. As patchh said around 480 grains would be right.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Marshfield Nr Bath
    Posts
    3,522

    Default

    Look no further in my opinion.....get it in #8...check out this video...

    Rio Scandi Short VersiTip Shooting Head - YouTube

    Paul

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    cumnock ayrshire
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Thanks for replies. I like the look of the scandi short versitip..
    I had been hoping id have got away with the outbound.to save money. looks like im going to have to save for a new rio line and maybe another skb reel.
    Last edited by Fly Boy; 13-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Having cast this rod I would say the Rage will fly off it and save you a lot of pennies compared to the Rio. If you have a look on the Open day thread near the end I think it says what line was on it when I cast it but I can't remember off hand. I'll have a look and see if I can link it for you. I actually think it would handle something a little heavier than the 480gr but can't say from personal experience.

    SP8

    Edit.
    Just seen AM's post so am guessing that's what I cast on it.
    Last edited by SP8; 13-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Marshfield Nr Bath
    Posts
    3,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
    Thanks for replies. I like the look of the scandi short versitip..
    I had been hoping id have got away with the outbound.to save money. looks like im going to have to save for a new rio line and maybe another skb reel.
    I have a #9 Rio SSVT on a 7/10 SKB Overdrive reel and fits really well, so a #8 would be perfect.

    There's a #7 for sale on classifieds with running line for 70...bargain of the year!!

    Did you check out the link?

    Paul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    cumnock ayrshire
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    I have a #9 Rio SSVT on a 7/10 SKB Overdrive reel and fits really well, so a #8 would be perfect.

    There's a #7 for sale on classifieds with running line for 70...bargain of the year!!

    Did you check out the link?

    Paul
    Watched the link m8. that looks just the job.
    I seen the 7 weight in the classifieds but at 27g its not for me.
    if only it had been an 8

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridgeshire Fenland
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Rio AFS 7/8 - 30gm.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
    Having just bought a 12ft 9in 8wt shakespeare oracle scandi, i was wondering if any one can advise me on suitable lines to match?. the weight for heads on the rod states 28-32g shooting heads.
    The only line close to this i have is an 8/9 rio outbound at 34g which im going to try when i get time.

    Any info much appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Im sure your Rio line will be fine, I found the 34g Vision Ace suited the rod really well.

    Take no notice of Michael from AM Angling, he is as wide as I am tall and built like a brick ****house! Im sure he could overload a rod by just looking at it!

    I reviewed this rod a couple of weeks ago and will write it up soon, well worth the money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •