Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The history of the Flying C???

I have been following up, with a great interest, the discussion going on about banning or not the Flying C! I have not taken part in the discussion, as I believe that as long a a method is legal and given the right conditions, it should be allowed, if the majority of the water's fishermen agree! Punctum finale!
    I have fished a lot with Flying C's in the past and caught my share of fish on them in several places in the world. About ten years ago, I decided to focus on fly and I have sticked to that since, because fly fishing gives me a more interesting experience!
    But what interests me, is to find out how many of the SFF's members actually know the history of the Flying C. Where does it come from, who found its name, when was it introduced to the UK??? That's a part of salmon fishing history, but I am not so sure that many of its users know the origins and "history" of this lure, which accounts for many catches every year. Maybe I am wrong? but just to find out:
    1/ Where does the Flying C come from?
    2/ What is its original and correct name?
    3/ When was it introduced to the UK and how?
    4/ Who did invent his English name?

What do you say? I am sure that some of you have the answers, I think I do, so let's check?

Default Flyin c

Quote Originally Posted by Gamlingen View Post
    I have been following up, with a great interest, the discussion going on about banning or not the Flying C! I have not taken part in the discussion, as I believe that as long a a method is legal and given the right conditions, it should be allowed, if the majority of the water's fishermen agree! Punctum finale!
    I have fished a lot with Flying C's in the past and caught my share of fish on them in several places in the world. About ten years ago, I decided to focus on fly and I have sticked to that since, because fly fishing gives me a more interesting experience!
    But what interests me, is to find out how many of the SFF's members actually know the history of the Flying C. Where does it come from, who found its name, when was it introduced to the UK??? That's a part of salmon fishing history, but I am not so sure that many of its users know the origins and "history" of this lure, which accounts for many catches every year. Maybe I am wrong? but just to find out:
    1/ Where does the Flying C come from?
    2/ What is its original and correct name?
    3/ When was it introduced to the UK and how?
    4/ Who did invent his English name?

What do you say? I am sure that some of you have the answers, I think I do, so let's check?
    I'm sure it is French in origin the first time l bought them they were made by Cybele in the late 80's or early 90's then I got some from Ireland they I made my own with the parts coming from Gordon grffiths now fishingpool

Think you may be right yellow owl. Indeed, the best you can buy now, which spin well,and at low speeds, are made by the French company Quimperloise.

Online store

Oscar.

I believe they were originally called the flying condom,this didnt go down well in ireland,hence the change.read that somewere cant remember were.

Must have been the late 80's or early 90's because I remember the girl in my local shop, just a wee country convenience type shop who sold a few bits and pieces of fishing tackle, calling me a dirty wee B*****d when I went in and asked if she had any condoms!!!

That shop must be closed 20 years.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Invented by a French doctor who regularly fished the Blackwater during 80's and was a client of the legendary Connie Corcarron, who noticed the likeness to said prophylactic , and thus was christened . Will be talking to Connie during the week and will ask him to flesh out the tale a bit for ye all, woops!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Default Flying c

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Must have been the late 80's or early 90's because I remember the girl in my local shop, just a wee country convenience type shop who sold a few bits and pieces of fishing tackle, calling me a dirty wee B*****d when I went in and asked if she had any condoms!!!

That shop must be closed 20 years.
    I had the same problem had ad in a free paper for them and an old lady phoned to complain I was sellin condoms I could have ****** myself trying to example what they were

Thank you Gentlemen!
    Some of you have parts of the answer, specially Toasted Heretic.

1/Origin: A local lure from the town of Quimperlé, in Brittany.
    2/Original: La Quimperloise.
    3/ Was first introduced to the Munster Blackwater in the 80's by a French fisherman, fishing with a local guide. Due to its success in Irish waters, it was first locally reproduced and then imported (and reproduced) in the UK!
    4/ The English name comes from this local guide, whose fantastic sense of humor made it a tremendous success and brought a lot of laughs and jokes around. You might know the guide: Connie Corcoran, one of the best and kindest guides I have met in my fishing life! What Connie does not know about salmon fishing in general and the Blackwater in particular is not worth knowing!
    So my little quiz is a tribute to the man, who christened the Flying C!
    Thanks for taking part in it!
    Gamlingen
    Last edited by Gamlingen; 08-06-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Vey, good and very interesting, gamlingen ;-)

According to Spintec website...

In 1954, Morris Clarkson made his first rubber latex Flying C' using bicycle innertubes and an English made spinner called the vibro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast