Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 4pce Hardy 18' Salar Salmon Graphite Fly Rod

I have just purchased a very nice second hand example of the above rod.
    There is no line rating marked on the blank.
    Could anybody please give me advice on a suggested line to match it?
    I would also welcome any views on casting performance, etc
    Many thanks

that rod will rock

I have a 18' B&W Norway and although not the same rod I still would have thought it would be rated at #11/12 and will only be suitable for Speylines not S/heads..As far as casting goes.If it's anything like the Norway you can have your lunch between making the D loop and the forward stroke.
    Nice and slooooooooooooooooooow
    Hardy used to do a 20' rod but I can't remember which model it was.I would love to have a go with one of those beasts..
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Deepwater express and duck on the forward cast !!!

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    I have a 18' B&W Norway and although not the same rod I still would have thought it would be rated at #11/12 and will only be suitable for Speylines not S/heads..As far as casting goes.If it's anything like the Norway you can have your lunch between making the D loop and the forward stroke.
    Nice and slooooooooooooooooooow
    Hardy used to do a 20' rod but I can't remember which model it was.I would love to have a go with one of those beasts..
    20' Hardy Favourite..Ooooh,yer beauty!!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Guys on the Tay are using long rods like this with shooting heads ,11/12 triple d
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

silverbar30,this rod was the forerunner to the Favourite series you will need 12's to get the best from it.I have the 18ft Favourite-very similar,it will lift allmost an entire 40yd DT 12 floater if your technique is up to it.Very strong rods-old school action tho.,nice n slow with the power delivery but very very purposeful.Your biggest problem will be finding lines to work it ok,triple D's in 11/12 are ok but short for this rod,it needs 40yders really.I used Hardy,Air Cel and Wet Cel lines and a Lee Wulff 12/13 which went really well.
    Unfortunately you will need some strength and stamina to wield it all day long as well as youthfull exhuberance to boot
    It will handle shooting heads,but not the short scandi type more of the long Scots. overhead type,at which it will excel .Happy to help,ATB,Pedro.

Simon,20ft Hardy Favourite,ooohhh yer beauty,ooohhh me back! P.

20' slooow action....a side benefit of this rod is that a wee grilse will seem like a school tuna with all that leverage working against you...
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by compagnito View Post
    that rod will rock
    Let's hope I can play the right tune!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast